Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Blinking light
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Blinking light
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
'92 Brakeaway. On my dash I recently discovered a "low oil pressure light" when it came on. Don't know what oil pressure it is talking about. Cruising down the interstate and it start blinking. Then blinks harder and the buzzer come on.

The engine oil pressure gauge shows 50 lbs of pressure steady at 1700 rpm. 542 allison is history and replaced years ago by a allison 2000.

Any ideas

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Gary, are you sure that the light for high engine temp didn't wind up in the low oil pressure position? I know that the engine temp sender has an alarm that will start to blink a light on my warning panel and when goes steady the alarm sounds!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It says low oil pressure and temp gauge is fine, but will check coolant. Hope it is a great hint. Thanks.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the temp gauge is good then my suggestion is probably not right. The temp sender has two ports, one for driving the gauge and the second for driving the alarm. I am not sure how the oil pressure gauge/warning works. I may find out, I am replacing the oil sending unit because I suspect it is the source of the oil leak on the passenger side of the engine.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The oil sender also has two ports, 1 for gauge and the other for warning. According to VDO the 360-009 sender identical to mine is for 80 PSI and has a 7 psi warning.

Hope your oil pressure didn't get that low! The sender is very hard to get to on mine, buried behind and between the injection pump and the air pump/oil pump(power steering)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It sounds more like aliens to me. Watch out for those really bright lights! confusion Shields Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have not solved the problem, but! It came on with the engine not running. After that it has worked fine.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I think it should come on before the engine starts as a bulb test. When the engine is started the light should go out.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It may be a low oil pressure alarm for the engine, parallel to the gauge. The symptoms indicate a bad sender or connection. My Ford diesel had a combo gauge and warning light sensor (separate connections). The Chebby had a separate one for each.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rusty, the sender has two contacts, one for gauge and the other for warning light. See my previous post. You may require a crow foot wrench (17mm)to get at it if your injection pump and air compressor/power steering pump are the same as mine.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
I'm sure it is the same as yours. We are on the road for the summer, so will try to find the wire heading to the dash and unhook it. If I have a pressure gauge do not see the need for the lite/buzzer. Although currently it is working fine.

I have a full set of unused crows foot wrench, but not metric. Have only used one once in the last 65 years.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although my GM engine is entirely different, the oil pressure sender is hiding. On mine, he sneder both controls the gauge and also has a contact to provide power to the fuel pump.

NAPA sells a special socket that clears the protrusions and makes removal a snap.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
That is an oil pressure safety switch (standard on our Cobras) so that the electric fuel pump is shut off if oil pressure drops below 6 psi. It stops the pump to save the engine and also will stop it in an accident where the fuel pump would run even if the car overturned or was burning. This would save a life. It can be wired with a toggle switch to allow fuel to be pressurized in a fuel injection system so it starts on the first 10 degrees of crank rotation, and then when oil pressure comes up the switch takes over and you turn off the bypass. (Carb equipped engines have fuel in the bowl so they start from gravity, but FI cars will not run until fuel pressure builds up, resulting in having to crank for a few rotations while fuel pressure builds up).

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post