Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing fuel lines
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing fuel lines
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Our 85 Regal had an assortment of rubber and steel fuel lines. First of all, the metal tubes sticking out of the fuel tank and the fuel pump, are 3/8"OD and about 9/32"ID. They are connected to the metal fuel lines by rubber tubing that is 3/8"ID on one end and 1/2" ID on the other end. This is because GM used 3/8" ID metal tubing which has a 1/2" OD. We are going to replace all that metal tubing with 3/8" ID marine grade rubber hose. There will be one run between the fuel pump and the first fuel filter that has such severe bends that we can't use the 3/8" rubber hose. There we will use 3/8"OD aluminum. Two questions:
--Is there a reason that GM used 3/8"ID steel tubing to feed a fuel pump that has a 5/32" ID inlet?
--Is there a problem using the aluminum tubing? It is much easier to bend and I can do it myself.
Please excuse the long post
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Something else has come up. On the steel tubing, there's a raised area near each end that acts to help seal the hose as you slide the rubber hose on the end. I don't know how to do this. Also, can the aluminum tubing take the pressure of a metal clamp? It seems that most of the aluminum tubing I've seen has flared ends put on for brass screw type fittings as in race cars and such. Really need some input. Tere's chomping at the bit to get this finished.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
I would think if you needed some type of flaring that NAPA could help you out. You shouldn't have to buy one of these.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight sells a multi-size tubing bender for around $5.00 and a flaring set for about $10.00. With these tools it is easy to bend and flair steel lines.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
why not steel tubing ? I don't like aluminum where there are rub points.Standard 3/8 tubing with a bender and a flaring tool is easy to use and does not take any strength. It holds up for a long time.you can even get tubing insulation to cover the pipe you can have couplings,elbows 45deg 0r 90 or 60deg also it is fun to make funny bends.It also will hold up to metal clamps.
lenny
PS used them in my trade
I hate red wires

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We produce our Cobras using all stainless steel tubing for two reasons: abrasion is eliminated as a problem and there is no corrosion. Double flares add an extra level of sealing to the compression joint and they are not that hard to make. From our experience we don't recommend anything from Harbor Freight - we thought "how could a cheap hammer be bad?" Well the head came off after a few blows. If you are careful taking off the old lines you can take them to a brake shop and they can use them as patterns and you can match the old. Eliminate as many joints as possible and use rubber only between the frame and the engine mounted fuel pump. To mount the lines use aircraft clamps with neoprene rubber insulators (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/clamps.html) and stainless screws. Stainless steel tubing can be purchased in rolls from tube vendors (http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=312&step=2&top_cat=0). If you want to do it once and forget it this would be the final fix.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Common sense goes a long way in the selection of tools, especially cheap tools. I've had the heads of many expensive hammers come off in use, but the Harbor Freight flaring tool has stood up for over 10 years of regular use just as well as our more expensive ones.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You have better luck that we do. But here is another option for replacing fuel and brake lines: http://www.classictube.com/contactFleet.asp
You give them the make, model and other data and they make the set and ship to you.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
you will have to think when you bend steel tubing and are strait they come in 6 or 8 foot lengths.It is not that hard
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post