Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Levelers/Jacks pump ID
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Levelers/Jacks pump ID
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
At Carl's place we were trying to locate the leveler pump/reservoir. I think we found it. It does not operate unless the engine is running, which makes sound an impossible method of locating it. But I found a gadget behond the center front bumper that has a rather large (appx 6 inch diameter) motor. I held my hand on it, and when a jack was lowered, the motor would run. So I deduce that it is the lrvrler pump and reservoir. Thumping the reservoir makes the sound of 'empty', but the fill cap is on top and difficult to reach, so we could not easily determine the fill level status. Besides I did not know the type and proper fill level, so I did not go any further.

The leveler pump. Notice the filler cap on top (difficult to access). This could double as a 'cow catcher' if on a train.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You found it. My manual says use Dexron II tranny fluid. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong on this next advice (the manual is in the Barth in storage) but I seem to recall that with the jacks retracted the fluid should be about one inch from the top. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. Stick your finger in the filler hole. When it comes back wet, she's full.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Roy,

your suggestion of one inch from the top is not unusual for a hydraulic system, but this hole is too small to stick a finger in, big cap with a little hole. And the access of reaching up while laying on the back doesn't help, especially for Carl.

But a pencil or some such stick that is too long to completely fall into the tank could accomplish the same thing.

If fluid is needed, it will be difficult to get more into the tank than on the ground!

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garryp:
this hole is too small to stick a finger in, big cap with a little hole. And the access of reaching up while laying on the back doesn't help, especially for Carl.

But a pencil or some such stick that is too long to completely fall into the tank could accomplish the same thing.

If fluid is needed, it will be difficult to get more into the tank than on the ground!

A small diameter clear vinyl tube can be inserted gradually in from the top while you suck on it and observe when the fluid is sucked up. A long tube makes it easier to avoid fluid in the mouth.

Similarly, a tube on a squirt can will fill difficult access reservoirs.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I like the oil can solution, but too much gasoline in the mouth over the years would give me caution with the tube-sucking approach.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by garryp:
too much gasoline in the mouth over the years would give me caution with the tube-sucking approach.

Yeah, I'm with you on the bad taste thing.

At work, we had really bad stuff in tight locations. Rusty can tell you the full info on Skydrol, for example. Some of our bearing oil had really toxic heavy metals in it, too, so I was pretty careful. I used a glass jar with a tube going to the vessel I was checking and another tube going to my mouth. Pretty simple to make, just two brass ball point filler tube stubs epoxied to the metal lid. The jar had to fill up completely for me to suck any fluid.

For a quickie on hyd fluid, a long enough length of clear tubing would be pretty safe. You could have a few inches of small diameter going into the fluid, then the rest of the tube could be larger diameter, so it would fill more slowly. If the tube is coiled, things are real easy to watch.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
A "thank you" to all concerned. I have a complete manual on the levelers and I'm sure the reservoir tank can be topped off without coating the newly sealed driveway. I sure appreciate Garry's help,it is a two person job. The manual lists a choice of six different fluids for use in the tank,so hopefully the one I chose will be compatible with the current oil in use..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post