Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    door latch for shower
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

door latch for shower
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1995 Breakaway 31' coach. The problem is the outer shower door doesn't have a latch other than a ball and socket at the top of the door. It doesn't hold the door shut and the previous owner put a sliding bolt (Ugly) to keep it shut. While I can't find where any other latch had been mounted, I don't believe the ball and socket latch is original. This is the floor plan where the shower is opposite the bathroom and the door opens to close the hallway off and create a larger bathing area by connecting the shower and bathroom. Does anyone have a working door closing latch and/or what the original latch system is. A picture would be great. Thanks in advance. Mitchell

Mitch & Tess
1995 Barth Breakaway? 31ft front entry
9411 3941 31LA 11B
210hp Cummins B5.9 (turbocharged)
Spartan chassis EC2246
Air Suspension/ 4wheel disc brakes
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

Posts: 22 | Location: Bell, FL | Member Since: 11-11-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Mitchell, I have similar shower door retainer. It is two posts that close in between a "U" shaped spring retainer. I is original.

I have the same layout as yours.

As long as I keep the glass shower door latched, the outer door will stay closed. Every now and then it may open on a very bumpy road.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I would really like to see the latch you describe and know whether they are available today. Where on the door is it mounted? Mine is at the top of the door.

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

Posts: 22 | Location: Bell, FL | Member Since: 11-11-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mitch, got busy with my RE-DO. Here is the picture of the outer shower door latch if you could call it that.

As I mentioned the door does stay closed unless I forget to latch the glass door. Occasionally if on a very bumpy road (most all of California's roads) the wood door will open. If I tighten up the spring catch, that "U" shaped piece, then it is very difficult to pull open so I have just left it as is.

I generally run down the road with it closed across the hallway to keep the front half cool/warm.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I replaced the pressure ("gas") cartridge on mine. Can be seen it the picture above. It appears the cartridge is much more effective in keeping the door in closed position.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed, your verbal description was spot on, and I ordered the exact latch you posted as a photo. I never thought of the gas closure cartridge and plan to replace it.

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
My door has a gas loaded piston.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removed the "Gas Spring" and it reacted very wonky to manual extension and retraction, so I ordered a replacement. Mounted spring clip as shown in picture and got a noticeably stronger resistance to opening (but acceptable) the outer door. I feel confident in an effective repair, and can't wait to go camping. Thanks for the help, the Barthmobile.com site was a big part of my decision to buy a Barth.

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

posted Hide Post
Gas spring arrived. Thought I would share that the new gas spring is designed so the shaft is fully extended under pressure. It is calibrated at 20 pounds force and very hard to retract by hand. I mounted it on the door and discovered not only did it push the door open to stop when fully extended, but when closing it collapsed the cylinder completely at a point where the door was about 6 inches from closed. Then stroked back to extending the shaft about three inches putting closing pressure on the latch. I am sure the door will work properly and remain closed while traveling.

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.