Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Exhaust Smoke after Spring Startup
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Exhaust Smoke after Spring Startup
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Steve Castner
posted
Saturday the exhaust blew out clouds of black smoke and lost power after I pulled the coach out of winter storage. What is the likely problem?

Filters were changed last summer. Last fall before storage I added more than the recommended amount of diesel conditioner (the label says there is no harm in adding excess) and topped off the tank, then took it for a 12 mile run before storing.

After pulling out of storage yesterday it ran fine on the highway for about two miles. We stopped for a traffic signal. The smoke and loss of power started when we pulled away from the signal and continued for about another two miles. Then, it cleared up, but we drove another mile or so and pulled directly into the lot at my truck dealer and left it there until Monday.

Very low miles for the age -- about 15,000. The coach sat outside at my Dad's farm for about 12 years before I started restoration summer 2011. My neighbor thinks the problem was due to water in the fuel, probably in the filters. Sure hope it's not valves or rings. The fact that the smoking eventually stopped suggests no mechanical issue?

Thanks for all advice.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What did the boost and EGT gages do when this happened?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
mouse nest in the muffler.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Or a nest in the airfilter Wink

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
While both the above may sound like humor, they're credible!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Or a nest in the airfilter Wink
Thumbs Up

Black smoke is usually from not enough airflow to the engine. An intake Manifold Blockage is the "Most Likely" cause. mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Black smoke indicate not enough air or to much fuel for the available air. Blue smoke indicates burning motor oil.

Plugged air filter (is the indicator red).

Loose hoses from the turbo to the intake manifold. Might have tightened up enough when the engine got hot.

Very remote possablity of a stuck turbo. After sitting for months years) it took some time to loosen back up.

Anyway take it for a longer drive and let the engine really warm up. Then see what happens.
This might be a needless panic.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
Looks like Marvin, Rusty, Bill and Gary may have hit it on the head. The shop foreman guesses a mouse nest in the air intake, sucked into the filter.

I was taking it in for filters, fluids, etc., anyway, so its being gone over as we speak. I should have it out for a shakedown within a couple of days, as soon as I line up my chauffeur. I just had shoulder surgery and the left arm is slung for another five weeks.

Thanks to everybody for your informed opinions.

Steve

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post