Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Main Battery , automatic steps, front air bags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Main Battery , automatic steps, front air bags
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have 3 problems with the 88 Barth I just purchased. #1 I am able to start the engine only if I hold in the aux start button. The main start I get a click and nothing else. I bought a new battery for the main, but the problem continues. I tried the horn, and it works fine. #2 I cannot get the auto stairs to work. All fuses in the dash panel are good,what should I check next? Any other fuse possibilities? Could the main battery problem be causing this? #3 The 2 dash buttons for the airbags arent working. Again all fuses seem alright. Are these switches for the front airbags or rear? I checked in the front wheel wells and don't see any valves. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 10 | Member Since: 10-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
What chassis?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, its a P-30., it was manufatured as a Health clinic. A picture is at members.aol.com/mgroely/barth1.jpg
Thanks

[This message has been edited by mgroely (edited November 07, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by mgroely (edited November 07, 2002).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
OK, here we go.
#1. Check wiring and connections to starter and starter solenoid. You probably have two solenoids, one on the starter and one on a brace in the right side of the engine compartment. Check for activation by feeling with your hand. You should feel a click or clunk. If the solenoid on the starter clunks, but the starter doesn't turn, check for power at the terminal going in to the starter. Check for a good ground.
2. go to:
http://www.rvweb.net/tech_lib/Quickee.html

Lots of step problems are due to inadequate lubrication and dirt. Clean and lube. There are several different models, so be sure you are at the right place. My step works fine, but it is maddening, so I might just convert it to manual control. If you do replace the motor, it is a Ford power window motor. Much cheaper from Autozone or somewhere than Quickee.
3. You probably have two Tandemair panels, each with a gauge and knob. If so, let me know, I will send you a PDF file on its operation. Do you have a little air compressor behind the left headlights? Does it run? Is there power to it with the ignition on? Does it have a good belt? Does it put out pressure? There is a Schrader valve on it to read pressure. If the compressor does not compress, you can use a tire pump or air hose to inflate the bags at the Schrader valve.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure and check battery cable at starter for damage from heat if headers are near by. This was a problem on our 78 Barth, with 454 engine. Cable looked good but inside wires had come apart.

Posts: 7 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 03-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Here is another link re Kwickee maintenance:

http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help so far. Today I took the Barth for a drive. It started on the aux. start again. The main I hear a clunk at the solanoid on the right side, but it wont start. After driving for awhile, I turned the Barth off and tried restarting with the main, and it started. A second later it would not start again. Now I tried to start it with the aux start like usual, and it wont start at all. It acts like the batteries are weak, but the main is new, and the other two where strong a few days ago. Boy this is FUN. Any suggestions?

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I am certainly not a mechanic, but I play one on Barthmobile....I had a similar problem and here it is... First of all, my AUX switch has never really worked so forget that for now. Anyway, I bought a new battery at Batteries Plus and it would not start the coach after just a week, so I took it back to Batteries Plus and they said it was not holding a charge, so they gave me a new battery. That was 1 1/2 years ago and it still is perfect to this day. Also, when my alternator went out on our last trip, I started the coach by putting jumper cables from my coach battery to the engine battery. What I am saying here is that I would make sure my batteries are good first before I did anything. If you engine battery is not holding a charge then all the rest doesn't matter. Also remember that your step runs off of your engine battery so if it is low it won't work either. By the way my airhorns also won't work if my engine battery is low.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 78 p-30, 454 was doing the same thing as you discribe. If engine was hot and starter was hot from after market exhaust headers. Engine would not start off of main battery but would start off of aux...most of the time.....sometimes would have to let cool off a few minutes and she would start. I was thinking all the time main battery was going bad and wouldn't hold charge. Put in new Sears Die Hard and guess what? Engine would not start. Crawled underneath and got hold of battery cable (from main battery) and told wife to hold switch key to start position by moving cable was able to get starter to work......Remove battery cable and found insulation baked and cracked, removed insulation and found wires had broken down and had come apart. Being one of the worlds greatest "pack rats" had some old battery cables hanging on a nail in barn. Cut about 15 inches off of old cable and spliced back some from my stock pile. Cleaned all connections with wire brush (even aux. battery end, all starter connections, all) and old Barth fired right up. I used to fill gas tanks with Barth running, sometimes she would not start, but since battery cable work, engine is off at fillups....

Posts: 7 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 03-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I will give it a try.

posted Hide Post
I think you may have a problem with your step and or your main disconnect may want to check that area. Good Luck!!

------------------

Posts: 22 | Location: LINCOLN PARK, MICHIGAN USA | Member Since: 03-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I have a 72 chevy chassis and a 350 motor. I found that the engine didn't want to start when it was hot and I found the problem to be that the solenoid was too hot and had to cool before the starter would work. The fix is as near as the local parts store. They have a heat sheild that sells for around thirty dollars and that will more than likely take care of the problem. I looked at the one in the store and I made one myself out of aluminum . Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post