Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Door Weather Stripping
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Door Weather Stripping
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
On the way to the Hillsbourgh GTG last December, the entrance door on my 1992 Breakaway would not close tight. Rusty worked on it for some time(I held the tools).We just couldn't get, and it whistled air all the way home. I had the shop do a list of repairs and they did correct the locking assembly and they added additional molding but I still have a slight air leak. Can any one give me a source and shape for replacing the stripping? I would like to do it myself.....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I see that the strip that goes over the hinges is softer and thinner that the rest, and the screen door also has strips for what its worth.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vince900ss
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my Breakaway. The PO had done a very messy "repair" which whistled like crazy over 35 MPH. I removed all of that old weatherstrip and sealant, and put in some new. I haven't found the perfect weatherstrip yet, but I now have a nearly quiet door. Just a slight wind noise over 60 MPH. I used the following high quality bulb type rubber weather strip I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...WNX:IT#ht_569wt_1165

It fit very nicely in the channel...just the right width...but it turned out to be a bit too high/tall to work on both the door side and the coach side. The door wouldn't close and latch properly. Too much gasket thickness with it everywhere. So I ended up using it on the door side only, and just on the front/leading edge, and the top and bottom. On the rear of the door, and on the coach side, I used a rubber weather strip (essentially flat, with ribs) I found in Lowes. This combination is very close to doing the job...huge improvement, but still not perfect. I think if the Lowes item had been just a bit taller, I'd be there. My door also needed new rivets on the top portion of the hinge, which helped the fit quiet a bit as well.
Will keep looking for a slightly taller weatherstrip to replace the only suitable one I found at Lowes. Will report when I find one.
Hope that helps some.

Vince & Michelle
1993 Front entry Breakaway 30.5
Cummings 5.9 190 HP with Banks upgrade to 210 HP, Allison 4 speed
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 78 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Member Since: 06-04-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post