Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bathroom Exhaust Fan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
The bathroom exhaust fan was sounding like I was parked near a railroad track with constant trains Thumbs Down rumbling Thumbs Down down the rails. The fan was replaced shortly after the visit to Elkhart. Decent fan, so I thought. Short lived, maybe? I do use the fan all the time when the Barth is occupied. Traveling down the highway or parked. The fan is ON. The bearings may have picked up moisture. Whatever they were NOISY! head bang Fan motors are about $50. I am always up for a better deal.
I pulled out the armature in the motor and slipped on new bearings. The bearings cost anywhere from $2.00 to 22.00. I opted for the $2.00 since they all came from China anyway.
Put the new bearings and she is quiet. If I get five years again I will be delighted with my $4.00 investment. It takes about an hour to replace the bearings.
Extra bearings will go to swap meet. If you need fan bearings, at $2.00 plus shipping, I will send you up to the six I have left.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I have found if the bearings are just the bronze bushing type, spray them with some penetrating oil let it set a bit then use a good oil to finish. I have used this procedure for all types of these motors, seems to work for as long as the initial motor did. If there is a cloth oil absorber even better. Most of the time no need to disassemble the motor.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
The bathroom exhaust fan was sounding like I was parked near a railroad track with constant trains

Sure, blame it on the fan... (I think the bearings were damaged by noxious fumes) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, I thought you ought to know, Kevin is convinced his bodily waste does not stink!!! ROTFLMAO

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You DO know him well, don't you! Thumbs Up ROTFLMAO Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I also believe Kevin is in the number 2 business, so he would know!!! Deadhorse

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Runs downhill, your bread and butter, don't chew your fingernails

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Kevin, I have found if the bearings are just the bronze bushing type, spray them with some penetrating oil let it set a bit then use a good oil to finish. I have used this procedure for all types of these motors, seems to work for as long as the initial motor did. If there is a cloth oil absorber even better. Most of the time no need to disassemble the motor.

Better is to immerse the bearings in 10 weight oil (like 10W30) and heat to 275°F, then allow to cool naturally. Using this technique, the oil migrates to its natural repose.

Sintered bearings retain oil in the pores; when the shaft heats up the bearing, the oil expands and lubes. When the shaft stops, the bearing cools, and the oil retreats back into the pores.

If the bearings are solid metal, use grease.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I think the bearings were damaged by noxious fumes)

quote:
Kevin is convinced his bodily waste does not stink!

quote:
Runs downhill, your bread and butter, don't chew your fingernails

Now that is some FUNNY SHITCrap. Please also note during the time when the fan was not working my propane detector never detected any fumes.
Back on topic I have roller bearings in the Barth fan. Thank You Rusty. I have "Sintered bearings" in the house furnace blower. I just replaced them prior to the heating season. How often should I boil the bearings in oil to increase life expectancy? I used to boil my motorcycle chain in oil. Do you think boiling the sealed roller bearings in oil would increase life expectancy for the roller bearings?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin, you got 8 roller bearings for $4.00, I think that is the deal of century? Are you sure you are not over come by those toxic fumes Steve mentioned? Big Grin

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
Did I say that I got 8 roller bearings for $4. Sorry to confuse you Duane. My $4.00 investment is only for the two bearings I replaced. I still have 6 bearings up for members here. They are 3/8" X 7/8" X 9/32" sealed bearings. My photo of the bearing went to the wrong satellite or something. I have not got a round tuit on this posting yet, for the swap meet forum.

posted Hide Post
Side view of the "Office Fan."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Did I say that I got 8 roller bearings for $4. Sorry to confuse you Duane. My $4.00 investment is only for the two bearings I replaced. I still have 6 bearings up for members here. They are 3/8" X 7/8" X 9/32" sealed bearings. My photo of the bearing went to the wrong satellite or something. I have not got a round tuit on this posting yet, for the swap meet forum.

Who needs expensive bearings? Go to the swap meet page.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Lovely bearings Kevin, I wonder if those shields are noxious gas proof? Roll Eyes

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
The brushes on those fans like to get pretty dirty too.

I pulled the brushes off and cleaned up that end of the business.

fan worked great after that.

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post