Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Power Steering Fluid
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power Steering Fluid
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
My doctor is on my case so I figured I would replace my power steering fluid on my Breakaway cheers . I believe it's the original fluid. Pictured is the fluid reservoir located in the passenger rear access.

Thinking that I would drain the reservoir, detach the return line, and while pouring clean fluid into the reservoir turn steering wheel to extreme ends until clean fluid appears in the return line. My questions are as follows:
What type of fluid is suggested?
How much fluid should I have on hand?
In the picture is the return line at 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock?

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Ted, I used "Vintage" automatic transmission fluid when I changed my power steering fluid in the Gillig Chassis Barth. There is also a filter inside my power steering tank. If there is a filter in your tank it can be crossed over to a Wix number. I have been using Wix filters for 40 years. I also think the larger line is the return line. If you need a picture of the exact product I used, I will post a picture or just send a text to you.
Just curious, did you scrub that fluid tank with a toothbrush prior to snapping the picture for our members?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
The large line is the suction (feed) to the pump. the small line is the return.
My tank had 2 filters stacked.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Kevin, my wife thanks you for recognizing her hard work.
Do you think it would be alright to use the same transmission fluid I use in my Allison tranny, that being Allison TranSynd synthetic fluid?

Steve, so the fluid returns to enter the canister at 6 o'clock, passes upward thru a filter and exits at 9 o'clock?

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted, I did not use synthetic fluid because of the fear of the steering box developing a leak from the thinner synthetic fluid.
Please seek Rusty's advice. He KNOWS oil!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate:
Fortunately my Bride does not serve dinner on any of the Barth components except the galley table. Does the heat from the power steering fluid help to keep you meals warm?

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate:
Do you think it would be alright to use the same transmission fluid I use in my Allison tranny, that being Allison TranSynd synthetic fluid?

Steve, so the fluid returns to enter the canister at 6 o'clock, passes upward thru a filter and exits at 9 o'clock?

In at the very bottom. Out at the side.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Just double checked, the pump draws out of the very side thru the big hose. I have the same tank and routing. There is a filter inside. if the fluid hasn't been changed for a long time (as mine wasn't when I got it) it is best to remove the fluid, thru the drain plug next to the bottom line. The fluid level doesn't change much during operation.

I have used Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid for 207,300 miles with no problem with leaking or pump failure. The steering box is a different issue, no one around here knows how to correctly rebuild these things. I had to rebuild mine the day I brought it home. I think I have it good now.

Allison fluid would be good but is very pricey! You will need around 4 quarts to refill the system more if you do a power on flush.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok I am convinced diesel stuff is weird for sure!!

Most cars and my 454 have a power steering pump with a reservoir surrounding the pump and the fill is right on top. Now in my case there is also a remote reservoir fill tank for extra fluid going to the pump. I guess because the power steering pump also runs the power brakes. The remote feed is a 1 inch line. There is no filter anywhere in the system, and the return lines for steering and brakes return to the pump not the remote tank. I have seen pumps without the surrounding reservoir tank but never knew the plumping.

It is curious to me why diesel is different.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Most gassers are pullers and most diesels are pushers. We pushers have 30'or more of hydraulic lines to get to the power steering boxes. Our hydraulic pumps only have to supply the steering system not the braking system

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks ED, never occurred to me the fluid had to travel from the rear engine to the steering column and return.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is what I used in the power steering of my Gillig. It has been in there five years now. I only have one filer in my tank. It also powers the hydraulic fan in my Barth.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Most gassers are pullers and most diesels are pushers. We pushers have 30'or more of hydraulic lines to get to the power steering boxes. Our hydraulic pumps only have to supply the steering system not the braking system

Only if the coach doesn't sport the wretched Hydroboost system.

Anyway, the oil specs for power steering system are not very critical. Antifoam, antiscuff, and antioxidants fill the bill. ATF has unnecessary additives, none of which will hurt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On the Gillig Chassis that reservoir feeds the hydraulic pump that is not just power steering. It also powers the hydraulic fan motor for the cooling fan. It has nothing to do with brakes if you have air brakes. When you throw a belt to the hydraulic pump you lose assisted steering, cooling but not air brakes. The transmission is separate from that system and Transynd is highly recommended for that. There are spin on transmission filters that are separate as well. This is the system setup for the Cat Allison pair on the Gillig chassis.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your responses. I've been busy with other pressing matters so have not been able to participate in this discussion. Now 646 emails - ugh. I'm old enough to remember when life was simple.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B