Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gillig Chassis Shocks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gillig Chassis Shocks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
I just had both the front and rear shocks replaced on my Barth. The coach is a 36foot 1992 Regency on a 1990 Gillig chassis. Gillig was contacted by my repair shop and they sent the shocks to them. The shocks are Koni and the front is #004X-53-3588-2000N and the rear are #004X-3588-5000N. The rear shocks were $257.00 + shipping and tax and the front shocks were $165.00 + shipping and tax. The labor was two hours for the rear and two hours for the front.

This was not an inexpensive repair, but the difference in the ride was significant. The work was needed to meet this year's vehicle inspection.

I have not seen any info on the Gillig shocks on this site in the past, so I wanted to provide some info for the benefit of other Gillig chassis owners.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I also had mine replaced and in the process they found the torque tube bushings (these keep the rear dual wheels and axle aligned) were worn and cracking. They were replaced by stock large semi truck bushings that were about half the Gillig price and they also resulted in a much more stable tracking and steering. If you experience some "wandering" these are highly suspect and may be overlooked at a normal auto repair shop since they don't deal with rear axle torque tubes. Mine is a '93 on a 92 Gillig Chassis.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bill G: Iam deeply sorry your repair bill for your shocks cost more than my generator repair did. You got a better ride, I got a cooler ride........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
The rear torque tubes were replaced two years ago. They were in tough shape. My mechanic also used semi-truck bushings. My repair shop is a Freightliner dealer and works mainly on over the road trucks. They do, however also do good work on my Barth. Probably because of their familiarity with diesels and air suspension.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I called Koni in Hebron ky, and ordered my shocks. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kevin, sorry I could not get back to sooner. I had 2 8805 1010 and 2 90 2164SP1 (replaces 90 - 2164 Gillig front). The foretravel used the same chassis. My rear axle had shocks inside the rails. I have been in hospital and out of town. I will call you when I get home. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post