Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rivits
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rivits
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
I have a few missing and have never done this before. What size do I get? I have seen tools for this in the store. Can someone give me a quick 101 on what to do? thanks.

Where is Rosie the Riviter when I need her.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I moved this post here for better exposure.

Try here for rivets.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rusty. That picture of the rivit on the link you gave makes it easier to understand.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Tom I picked up a pop riveter at Lowes and sone Al rivets refastened my ladder great. I keep it in the Barth .
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed some missing on my ladder brackets also. Is this a victim of stress? I only have 3 or so missing on the coach. Is this corrosion, stress, age? Just curious. I know a wet board rots, etc....Found two poking up on the roof while it was being pressure washed in prep for a re-coat. I do believe my Barth has the original coating on the roof.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
There were some 1/4" rivets on our 85 Regal that needed replaced and while we founded them, the normal tool for doing pop rivets doesn't work with 1/4" rivets. So we bought a special tool for the larger size. If anyone wants to borrow it, just let me know and we'll ship it to you.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I got my 101 on rivets. My Barth rivets are 3/16th. I had loose or missing rivets on storage door components and frame, the brackets holding on the ladder and some of the end caps. Lowes had a kit of rivets and a tool with 1/8 and 3/16 rivets for less than $20 and I made sure not to pinch a finger. Jim and Terre were kind enough to send me their 1/4 " tool and some rivets and I was surprised at the difference between 3/16 and 1/4 inch rivets and the tool. Anyway, one more thing out of they way.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL