Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    AC capacitor.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

AC capacitor.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Back to this thread, if I may. The Michigan trip was wonderful, and the Barth ran fine, but unfortunately the AC wasn't as fixed as I thought. The first night out in north Florida we were cooling down the coach for about 15 minutes when the AC quit. A coach 20a breaker had thrown. Reset it and tried again. Ran again for about 10 minutes and quit again, this time without throwing the breaker. By now I'm wondering if it's the AC or the fan, so I ran the fan only. 5 minutes and it quit. So now I assume the fan motor is the culprit and we did the rest of the trip without AC. No big deal, we live in Florida and were plenty comfortable with windows open.
Today I finally got time to do some investigating and pulled the cowling and ran the fan for about 5 minutes, no problem, so I cranked the AC and turned it to high. After about 4 minutes more it started making some scrapey noises and the coach breaker threw so I went up and lasered the fan motor. The housing read about 220 f.
So I have 2 questions. Is that excessive heat for a fan motor? And can the motor be replaced or should I just put a new AC unit on the roof?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Depending on the age , I would probably just replace the entire unit . Mechanic

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
My thought is the motor temperature will be spec'ed 140F max normal operating temperature. A replacement will probably be minimal cost to determine if it is the only problem. I have not priced the units lately but a balance of effort to replace the motor versus "Replace AC now and next time it's the next guys problem."
Good luck

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
hmm 220 is pretty hot. Fan motors are usually self cooling by nature but maybe the windings are full of junk and not getting air. I would check that. OTOH, given the age, there is a good chance it is worn bearings heating up.

At least you know it did cool when it was running so compressor, etc are probably ok for now.

Repair of old appliances is always a crapshoot. I guess it depends on the cost of the fan motor. If you can find any numbers on it you might be able to find one on Ebay, etc. If it is cheap it might be worth your time to swap it out.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Older A/C fans usually have brass oil absorbing bushings, liberally oil both sides of the fan shaft before you give up!

Might save you some cash!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Actually there are 2 little yellow caps on the motor housing that say oil. I have a can of 3 in 1 so I think I'll lube up those spots and see what happens.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Be curious if that helps, hope so!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
No help at all. The new unit is already ordered from PPL. $1200 top and bottom and shipping. It won't be easy getting it up there but I'll figure it out. I did the same thing on the old nose so I'm not going in blind.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
I wish I was close I would come and help you. I love working on projects. I just received two new AC roof seals to put on this weekend. Found out one leaked in the back bed area at 3am last camping trip. I thought my wife had an accident. When I woke her up to ask she was not the least bit amused...

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Did you dare to go back to sleep? ROTFLMAO

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
I sure did and the pullout coach was very comfortable.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post