Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    AC capacitor.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

AC capacitor.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Ever since I got this coach the roof AC has seemed to start hard. On 30a it balks but eventually gets going, but on the 6500 Onan the only way to get it going was to rev up the motor while Suzy turned on the AC. The 3500 Preditor will not start it at all, but I've checked it on other RVs and it starts them no problem, so I started doing a little investigating. I found a smaller cap with 2 brown wires going to it that I believe is for the fan, and a bright green one with a white and 2 yellows on one side and 2 reds on the other, which I assume is the culprit. Some of the paint is chipped off but there is still a 40 before the vac and it's supposed to be a 370 vac. Looking on line I see capacitors that look right from $18 to $52, with the Coleman ones starting around $40. My thinking right now is to get a $40 Coleman and try it. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, there is no Model # or wiring diagram left anywhere on or in the unit, Just a Coleman TSR sticker on the ceiling unit.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The capacity of a capacitor is measured in microfarads, named after the famous scientist Michael Faraday. The voltage rating is based on how good the insulation is inside the cap. The voltage rating, as long as it is above the working voltage, is not critical. (Higher voltage units will be larger and more expensive though.)

Try to match the mF number closely if it can still be read. The is the value that needs to be matched to the inductance of the starting coils in the motor. Too bad the AC has no model ID, it might be easier.

Good luck with magic electrons! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Last year I installed new capacitors and Micro-air Easy Starts on both units Mechanic . Now you can barely hear the compressors kick on . No more shaking the coach Smiler

Much more better , starts the unit easily . Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Often wondered about the aftermarket easy start A/C kits. not sure what the costs are but have heard only good things about them.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
In my searches I saw the easy start things but I'm not into spending $350 on this old AC without even knowing if it will work. I also read that the $89 dollar ones don't work. Not one good review. Steve's idea of matching up numbers is a good one, but I suspect this isn't the right capacitor for this unit so I have nothing to match it up to. Maybe Steve can post the pix I sent him so you guys can see which unit it is.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Here is what Danny sent me. I can't quite read the numbers. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Did a search on Ebay and found the easy start for $125 but if one looks a bit closer the same unit can be bought for $32 scroll down on the Ads on Ebay, Search for RV a/c Easy start kit. seems to be generic fit kits. For that cost it might be worth a try.

Danny the store is located in Davenport Iowa, now would an ole farmer ever try to rip you off!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
send me you address as i have a capacitor new i never used on my desk . ... may work for you maybe not

free

the rv ac company in shipshewana id is great if you want to drive that far .. after frogging around with mine i drove there and they installed a scratch and dent high , new one for apx $600.00

anyway i will send what i have to you free

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As promised, Jack sent me the brand new capacitor, and as promised, a payment to Barthmobile will be made since Jack didn't want any money. I'll get it in today and we'll see if it helps. It's an all in one unit with the terminals marked so it should be pretty simple. Thanks Jack!

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I installed the new capacitor and hooked up to my 3500 Preditor inverter. No bog down at all, the AC just started as soon as I switched it on. Blows ice cold. Success!

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Good deal Thumbs Up

Happy Motoring Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After about 10 minutes the fan stopped but it seems the compressor still runs. I'll try hooking up the fan to the old capacitor.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Update. I got a new fan capacitor online and it fixed the problem. Should be good to go for our Michigan trip next week. Gas seems to have come down, about $3.80 here and $3.60 in Georgia, so I'm hoping it stays that way.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I hoping it continues to go down! Have a good trip. As I always say “May it be uneventful!” No issues!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Brent crude oil has gone from about $97 a week ago to $103 today, so enjoy it while you can!!

P30 chassis
350 engine