Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tachometer gauges
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tachometer gauges
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I decided to stop procrastinating and finally install a tachometer gauge in my Barth. I went to the Custom Instrument Panels Website that I've recommended in the past and attempted to order a XLS54295 Tachometer for $113.46.

This item is no longer being produced. It was originally made by TeleFlex and they were bought out by VeeThree. Sadly, VeeThree decided to discontinued this line about 3 years ago.

A quick search on the internet led me to Great Lakes Skipper. Teleflex part #54301 or #1195073 is what I ordered. Their part number at Great Lakes is "Inboard Tachometer #006568". They now have 6 left at $39.00 each + $8.00 shipping and they are NOS (New Old Stock) pieces.

This tachometer is for a gasoline engine only and will pick up the signal from your distributor or coil tach lead.

You can reach Todd at 262-898-1855

The best part is, I saved some serious money too!!! Smiler

This all started after I read This Post by Jim and Tere

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, do you think this would fit into the opening where my brake warning light is? 85' Regal, P32 chassis.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Does all your other gauge look like that one? All of mine do. I'll wind up using a hole saw to cut a hole on the right side of my dash. Luckily for me, I have plenty of room to install my new gauge and it will match the other ones.

Part mailed out on Friday... I'll post some "After Pics" when I'm done.

$47.00 delivered for a matching Tachometer Dash Gauge is a fantastic price.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Jim & Tere, if you really want a tach there are more options than mounting it in-dash. J.C. Whitney has 16 different tachs ranging from $36 to $300 in price, & in several sizes. Your local auto parts emporium will probably have some, too.

I've added tachs to several vehicles in the past; mounted some on top of the dash, some on the steering column, only one in the dash, & that was a correct-sized replacement for my inoperative Barth tach.

Atop the dash or on the steering column is not as aesthetic as mounting it in-dash, but if you want/need/use a tach the important thing is to be able to look at it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
For tac & vacuum gauges, I went a little different route, mounting them on top of the dash in a pod for easier viewing. All VDO products, I picked them up from different Ebay sources, with less than $100 involved. Very easy hook-ups, grabbing the tac off the HEI tac lug, the vacuum Tee'd off the closest full vacuum source and a splice into dash lights for backlighting.

Since I changed tire size and the old mechanical speedo is starting to bounce a little, I use the adjacent GPS for more accurate MPH readings.

With a Q-jet, the vacuum gauge has earned its keep, helping me to keep my foot out of the secondaries - maybe less of an issue with TBI.
The tac is used primarily for establishing manual downshift points for the hills.

PS: Looking for replacement heater control bezel...Two fender washers are hardly Barth-like!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I'll post some "After Pics" when I'm done.

Currently, there is only one of these Tachometers still in stock!!!

Teleflex Outboard Boat Tachometer Gauge

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Well,

I jumped, so I guess there are none left. I want to add a tach to my 75 also. Don't think it will match 100%, but will be close enough.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I want to buy those two gages and would like to use the same ones Barth used in my attempt to keep my '85 original.
Looks like you struck out there Jim and Tere...
quote:
Originally posted by John C.:
I jumped, so I guess there are none left.
The old adage of "You Snooze, You Loose" comes to mind. hmm

Fear not Jim and Tere... I bought 2 of these. Because I have no intentions of mailing this... I will gladly sell you my spare when I see you in WDC. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I'm trying to get Tere to go without me... Maybe some of you can 'encourage' her to do it.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I'm going to try to get you to go too. Big Grin
Sneaky yes... But, that's just me ROTFLMAO

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis