Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    motorcycle carrier
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

motorcycle carrier
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
I am towing a Mini Cooper using Blue Ox system, wheels down, works great. But I want to also carry a 250 cc Yamaha enduro bike. Weight is about 340 pounds. There are rumors of a motorcycle carrier that is hitch-mounted, with a hitch tube extension to continue to tow. But I can't find it. There are double hitch receivers to tow and mount an accessory, such as a cargo carrier. But I'm not sure this will be strong enough. Ideas? How difficult would it be to mount a hitch on the front?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a tandem tow dolly I can tow a front wheel drive car I tow a A4 Audi and in front u can put a golf cart or a full size motor cycle or quad or any toy u want it workers really good but a high price u can find a used one sometimes on Craigslist or eBay I paid $4,100 for mine u can look them up on the internet Under Tndem tow .com for specks hope that helps or another option.

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I would be skeptical of any motorcycle hitch that claimed it couldhold a tow bar for a car as well. I'm hoping someone can answer my question about the tongue weight and tow capapcity of a 80s regal with the factory hitch. Trying to figure out what I can take along across country this coming summer. Have a Tiger 955i which with the rack would be up around 600-625 pounds wet. Sadly there isn't much out there that is a light bike anymore (that has street ability even if it is non freeway).

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benebob:
I'm hoping someone can answer my question about the tongue weight and tow capapcity of a 80s regal with the factory hitch. Sadly there isn't much out there that is a light bike anymore (that has street ability even if it is non freeway).

A good question indeed. I have not seen any hitch ratings. I looked into it on my Regal a while back. I looked at two issues: tongue weight and gross weight. My Regal has the tag axle and the air bags allow for some help with the tongue weight. My spare tire and carrier were previously mounted above the bumper. I removed the carrier and relocated the spare to the roof, effectively removed about 140 lbs from the hitch. A load leveling hitch could help even more.

Gross weight is another thing. The TH400 trans is rated for about 19,000 lbs total weight. With the 33 Regal at about 18,000 that does not leave much. When I towed my Prius on a dolly from Florida to Michigan in 2011 I was evidently overloaded and the coach was working hard. The Prius weighs about 3000 and the tow dolly was at least 500.

The load problem was one of the factors for getting the VW bus for a toad. Relatively light and tows four down with no dolly. I replaced the trans last summer with a higher rated unit. Still pushing the trans limit, though. One of several reasons I bought the 98 Monarch...

The Monarch came with a Bashan 50cc scooter and a hitch rack. The scooter is a bit over 250 and with the rack closer to 350. I think I can get away with that much on the Regal now but I have not tried it yet. Might make a good setup.

I have not looked for ratings on the Monarch but it should be able to tow most anything, I hope.

Hopefully some other may be able to share their experiences. Bill h had several tow rigs he ran behind his 31 Regal tag but he is no longer with us to comment. Too bad.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Already invested in Blue Ox wheels down hardware, which works very well. Looking seriously now at a front hitch and aluminum bike rack.

quote:
Originally posted by Evan:
I have a tandem tow dolly I can tow a front wheel drive car I tow a A4 Audi and in front u can put a golf cart or a full size motor cycle or quad or any toy u want it workers really good but a high price u can find a used one sometimes on Craigslist or eBay I paid $4,100 for mine u can look them up on the internet Under Tndem tow .com for specks hope that helps or another option.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I have not looked for ratings on the Monarch but it should be able to tow most anything, I hope."

My '96 38' Monarch-325HP, 8.2 Cummins- towed a Towncar and then a Navigator (4 wheels down w/ Remco driveshaft disconnect on each). Never had a problem with power (although braking was always on my mind.)

Posts: 23 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 09-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post