Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    12V Coach Batts to 6V
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

12V Coach Batts to 6V
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
I fried my 16 month old Interstate 12V deep cycle coach batts in winter charging mistakes... I've bought 2 6v golf cart batts to install in place of the fried 12v deep cycles. The terminals for two coach batts are interconnected (pigtail jumpered together) for the negative and positive sides. I did this once before and need to refresh my memory on this mod. As I recall I can put one of the 6v batts in the normal position of pos to pos, neg to neg, and then on the other 6v batt to swap the ends and go pos to neg and neg to pos on the the terminals to put the 6 volt bats in series and step up to 12v.
I think that's all I need to do I memory serves me right.
Correct? Anything I missed?

BTW: 6v Golf Car batts at Sam's (Non Branded/made by Interstate) are $64.95 w/core.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Here is Trojan's diagram.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/T...nectionsDiagram.aspx

For two golf cart batteries, you want the series connection.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bill H: Thanks for the printable drawing.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Strat
We have similar coaches with consecutive build numbers. I have the rad for the transmission cooler mounted above my house batts. The two 12 volts fit beneath it but the 6V golf cart batts I have looked at are too tall. Is your setup the same? How tall are your 6V batts?
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
My tranny cooler is port side aft on the rear grill. Another one-off Barth situation. I have plenty room for whatever size house batts I would choose.

So I suppose my postulations on using my current terminal configuration as is will work by just switching one batt 'backwards' (pos to neg and neg to pos) will put the 2 6v batts in series. Seems another coach I owned years ago had some issues, must've been the terminal leads were non std in some way forcing me to do some mods. I don't see any need for mods based upon Bill's diagram from Trojan. Thanks Bill.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
For the group: You CANNOT just swap ends on one 6V battery in the bank that was 12V. This would have 1 positive terminal going to negative and ground...
I KNEW IT WAS MORE COMPLICATED...
Anywho, my mechanic properly swapped it around and I didn't have to explode a new 6V or two to display my ignorance.
If you want to do this mod, the Trojan Chart I must confess oversimplifies the situation. Or my peon brain didn't quite get it.
All works now, I was in a hurry and didn't get to study the new config but I do have 2 bitchin' golf cart 6v batteries running my coach. We will be at my Boys Scout Camp closing ceremony and sleeping in comfort afterward tomorrow night.
Ah yes...

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Putting 6V into series to yield 12V is relatively simple: + of the first goes to the - of the second; the + of the second and - of the first go to the chassis.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten the 'jumpering' required between the pos and neg on the batts, and that otherwise the the terminals/connections are configured as the 12v batts had been.