Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine hour meter??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine hour meter??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
In my MCC the engine hour doesn't work\
(and I do not know for how much long it didn't)..

So what is it use?
and how is it repaired/replaced??

ps the clock doesn't work either...
pps: I am not mechanically inclined Frowner

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Divide the miles by about 30 and you will get approximate hours.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hour meter is just a clock hooked up so it only runs when the engine/generator/device runs. Keeps track of cumulative hours. Used in heavy equipment, boats, etc that do not have odometers to record miles. They keep track of service intervals that way.

To trouble shoot, apply 12v to terminals, see if it runs. If it doesn't, hour meter is bad. If it runs, but not with engine, check power from engine. They often run power via oil pressure switch so hour meter runs whenever engine has oil pressure. Could be bad switch or no power to the whole circuit. (fuse?) Might explain the the clock not working also. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Picture of Kevin---
Divide the miles by about 30 and you will get approximate hours.

This MCC had at least two speedometers before I had installed the present unit which now reads 2200 miles...
so if I divide that by 30 it comes out to 7.3333 hours???

Or is this only for the generator??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
7.3333 hours???

73.333! nono

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us assume you have 100,000 miles on your Barth. Divide, 30 miles per hour into the 100,000. Your hours driven would be 3,333.33333333..... or about 3300.
Does this help?
Another example: L78steve has a Barth with 57,786 miles on it. His hour meter has logged 1789 hours. His average speed is 32.3 miles per hour.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I believe 30 miles per engine hour may be a little low. I have actually kept a log of the engine hours and mileage between oil changes and the answer is always between 43 and 44.5 miles per engine hour for the way I drive and travel.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Kevin, I believe 30 miles per engine hour may be a little low. I have actually kept a log of the engine hours and mileage between oil changes and the answer is always between 43 and 44.5 miles per engine hour for the way I drive and travel.

Nick

Leadfoot. Tooling Along

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Barth engine hours mileage averages out to 24.6. When traveling I never shut of my bus till at the days destination. If I stop at a rest stop or get fuel, I do not shout the rig down. If you are keeping a log that is because you do not count idling time. Most vehicles will average 20 to 38 miles per hour. Snowplow vehicles and service vehicles even less. If I do a short trip the average is much higher for the trip from my GPS. I am talking about the life of the vehicle. Look as L78Steve's Barth. Yes we have had this conversation before. As an accountant you know you can get the numbers to look how YOU want.
I feel badly that you are always in a hurry Nick. Take a break once in a while. Slow down and enjoy the world that is passing you by lead foot.

posted Hide Post
Here is another example of true and actual hours.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
That is a truly beautiful coach. Wonder where it is now?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post