Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Memphis took my roof!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Memphis took my roof!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Ok I love this Ole Nose but enough, is enough! I looked on the roof yesterday and all that old aluminum tape from the center of the coach back had come loose and was bunched up in clumps.

I was just up on the roof pulled off the back half plus. Underneath the PO's had put several layers of some type of caulk or sealant, silicone and a layer of some white mastic that had turned black on the top side. They put sealant everywhere using many different chemicals. Some is soft most is hard and crusty.

I want to reseal the sheet metal seams, around the vents and any rivets, but how the heck am I going to get all this old stuff off! I am thinking scraping and a heat gun are my only hope, but I am 74 and I don't have a lot of years left, I might never get finished, any suggestions?

Going to do the back this fall and front next year. Front looks like it is ok if I seal the edges of the remaining tape with Flex Seal.

Anyone bored and want to help??? I have beer!!!

Looks like rain, gotta put up a tarp!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm tired just thinking about it. Wow! What a challenge.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Eternabond is your answer, lots of negatives on Flex Seal. Don't have any ideas on the removal. I had to remove the TV antenna on the '75. It was summer and very little old sealant to remove which I got off with a dull putty knife.

Make sure you get the eternabond in the right place there is no readjusting but it is still sealed.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
The 72 had some thing of interest for sealants. I am a believer of work smarter not harder. Make friends with a vibratory tool. Sometime called a multitool. It takes a bit of practice. The key is to work under the sealants. Go parallel to the aluminum skin carefully. You are just removing the sealant. Don't gouge the aluminum.

I have used on many projects. Another hint is I use old flat smooth edge. Don't use a new toothed blade. Practice before you start. Don't wreck the skin.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
I striped the entire roof (YES THE ENTIRE ROOF) from front to rear on Danny Zee's. It is a lot of work but I chased leaks for years from years of crappy patch jobs. It is a lot of work but well worth the effort. PM me I will tell you what I did

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Clean with power washer and remove all devices (antennae and ac) then install a new rubber roof. Reinstall the stuff and your leaks cease. Build a mounting dam for the ac so it does not sit on the actual roof. You can ignore the old sealant.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
By the time I got the tarp up, the down pour (tons of water) had stopped, I am afraid to go in the coach and have a look, but I guess I have to...Later!!

Thanks for all the advice, gonna give the multi-tool a shot! I have a few old worn out blades. I am afraid to power wash the top!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
As for powerwash the roof: you could go to a truck wash - some got them long step ladders you do not have to step on the roof - and let them do it. Some DIY washes for semis got them steps too.
Be careful.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My fear of the power wash is, what it will do to the inside of the coach, where it leaks!

I tried the multi-tool, works fine but it took me about an hour+ to clear maybe 10 square inches!!!

So method #2 heat gun and a scraper, about the same as the multi-tool but if my wrist were in good shape, I think this might be faster.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Sorry my roof had no leaks so I didn't fear the pressure washer. All i was doing was removing things like the skylights, fan, sewer vents to put on the siphon 360's. I coated once with a dicor product I removed a year later with my pressure washer. I should have used Anvil 400 right away it lasted 20 years. Did the Anvil last year and it looks great.

My shoulder won't take the putty knife action...

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this will work. Just watched a show on getting undercoating off a car floor board. They used dry ice. Froze it so hard it chipped right off.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
What an awful job, I do not understand why the PO put this crusty stuff over smooth aluminum that has not chance of leaking. On the seams the butyl tape under it is still soft and tough to remove.

Ok I am going to try the power wash and the dry ice trick too.

I keep thinking of the membrane but I do not think I have the skills to install it properly. Very costly too!

I have this railing around the back of the roof, the attachments are where PO went nuts with the crusty stuff.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Me too! Removed the railing and installed closed end rivets and eterna bond tape. No more leak.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
There are a series of .25 holes that are spaced about 2 foot apart maybe a foot inboard of the outer walls going from front to back on both sides. They have been plugged with a big glob of silicone sealant these seem to be the major source of the leaks. Anyone know what they were used for, just holes now?

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Do you think they could have been luggage rails?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post