Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Howard Power Steering Center ???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Howard Power Steering Center ???
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
So our Barth has Howard Power Steering on it. Not something I am familar with and of course a manual wasn't included and with them going under I can't find a whole lot of info on it so I'm curious if anyone else has or had it on theirs. If so what pressures would you recommend and any other tips would be great.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Is this the manual your looking for Benebob ?

http://janeandjohn.org/docs/Howard%20PCS%20Manual.pdf

Google is your friend . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
That would be it, strange it didn't show up when I searched for a good hour or two. You must have a better google then I do. Still it doesn't answer my question on how much pressure I should run. Don't want to break something that I can't easily replace because I gave it too much (or not enough).

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
The manual say's on page 13 . The pressure should be set on atleast 100 psi . but is more efficient at higher pressures.
The last page say's the max pressure is about 170 psi .

I don't have this system on my barth. So this is all i can tell you . Hopefully someone will chime in with more info.
Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah I saw that, the 100psi though I thought I read was for trims to work. I don't want to destroy it as they are now from what I've read hard to find someone to rebuild it. To me max pressure and max working pressure are two different things, similar to tire pressure on a sidewall of a tire.

posted Hide Post
I installed a Brand New Howard PCS system that I bought last year, and it was a NOS unit that was never installed. I installed it on my Barth Soverign , anyway, here attached is the manual for install and operation in pdf.

Mark

PDF DocHoward_PCS_Installation_Manual.pdf (14,409 Kb, 129 downloads) Installation opperation Manual

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
sweet, ty, what pressures are you running it at?

posted Hide Post
100 psi most of the time, and only up to 125 psi...that is it.

My steer tires are dual purpose tires, and I will replace with some very high quality Michlins, that are steer tires only. Makes a big difference, with or without the PCS system.

Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
I have the manual. I Removed the components from our Breakaway. Didn't know that there was still interest in this system as I donated the parts to a recycling facility.
PM me with your contact info if you still need a hard copy of the manual. Be happy to mail it to you.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. No need for a physical manual. I am curious how well the system works as I didn't think ours handled bad for what it is. Have driven plenty of box trucks of similar size that were much worse (and they were newer).

posted Hide Post
Since I tow a 26" car trailer with my 35" Barth Soverign, it works GREAT!

Best investment I could have made.

Mark