Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tire valve core
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tire valve core
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:

It's factory built and the rating is 120psi.

Glad to hear you have a tank to do the job.

quote:
When I put the extenders on I will use pipe paste on the threads of the extender onto the valve stem. That should prevent an air leak there.

I'll put just a dap on the valve cap end and use the hex wrench to just slightly snug it up.

The rubber gasket in both the extension and metal cap should be sufficient to prevent leakage. I use Loctite grade C to hold my extensions on the stems. Just to prevent any loosening.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
When I had to air up my tires at the storage place,I just started up the generator and ran my compressor off of the coach. The compressor was a craftsman 15 gallon with a 1.5 hp motor that operates up to 150 psi. This required no extra hoses or extention cords.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
sk8er,

I was going to do that, however I was hesitant to try. I was not sure if the wiring inside the Barth would handle it without over heating or throwing a circuit breaker.

It seems I have the same compressor as you and when I tried to run it off the outside receptacles of the house it will throw the circuit breaker. The reason they are rated at 30 amps. My garage receptacles are rated at 50 amps.

I found a Good Year Tire Center about four miles from the house that will check my tire pressures and top them off at 100 psi as a free service. Maybe it helped that I have all Good Year tires on the Barth.

Another thing even if someone uses an air tank rated at 120psi ,and it is full, most likely it will only put about 60psi into the tire. As the pressure equalizes between the air tank and the size of a 22.5 tire. Of course the smaller the tire the more air would go in.

Thanks for the info. Good to know if needed.

Capt Jim
1985 Barth

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I have a quick connect to my air tank for the air brakes. I have used it a few times to top the tires off. I blead ofrf any moisture first. It seems to work OK. I carry a 50" air hose in the bus for just that reason. It was on the tank when I bought the Barth. Found it one day while crawling around under the bus working on my jacks.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Could you take a picture of it.
I have been thinking of doing that, however I am unsure of where & how to do it.

I found a quick connect behind the front grill. I was told it is for putting air into the system to release the brakes so the unit could be towed if the air was down, not for getting air out.
I don't know if that makes any sense. I do know it is a little smaller ( or a different size) then the one on my compressor.

Capt Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:

Another thing even if someone uses an air tank rated at 120psi ,and it is full, most likely it will only put about 60psi into the tire.

That depends on several things:

1. The size of the tank

2. The pressure in the tank.

3. The size of the tire.

4. The pressure in the tire.

In a typical situation, if the tire is a little low from sitting, which is pretty common, a portable tank can be very useful.

Airing the tires up from REALLY low takes more air than one filling of a portable tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
old tread but am interested in the portable air compressor discussion.. Who is using what these days? heres an older 'whats the best portable air compressor article..'

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike, Really good to have you resurrect old information so we can update. Computer Thumbs Up
Here is my nickels worth of thought. java Any air compressor that has a piston the same size as your pinky finger is Thumbs Down JUNK. It is too small for the volume of air needed for the Barth tires. It is ok for your bicycle tires. Something more like the Pancake Compressor is what is needed for pumping up Barthmobile tires. Keep in mind if your Barth has Air Ride you should have air chucks to get air directly from the Barth Air System. With a long enough hose you can air up even the rear tires.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post