Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    RPM Gauge
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RPM Gauge
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted
Has anyone had experience with an intermittant RPM Gauge on their Breakaway or any of the Barths powered with the Cummins 6CTA? My gauge reads fine on startup but after a few miles down the road it is inoperative. Would this be a mechanical link to the engine or a transducer that coverts mechanical to electrical? Where on the 6CTA is the RPM feed/connection located?

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
I had a problem also, turned out, I had a bad ground. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused as I was not aware of the Cummins C engine used in the Breakaway.

Anyway our 5.9B engine has a transducer screwed into the bell housing.

I had the same problem and ended up running new wires up to the tach.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Hello Gary,

When you said you had the same problem are you referring to a bad ground? Could you be a little more specific in the fix that you ended up performing. Thanks.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Don't know what I can add. Never really found the problem so ran new wires from the transducer to the tach. This fixed the problem.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Gary
I can confirm there is more than one Breakaway out there with the 8.3 Cummins

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Ok. Will first check all electrical connections common to the transducer and the gauge, and if I can't get anywhere with that, I'll just run new wires as you did Gary. Thanks for the reply.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Just run the engine and if the rpm changes, turn on lights and if the rpm steadies then it is in the ground. I found my ground for the panel on front firewall in gen compartment. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Sky. I'll start with the ground connection and will look in the generator area as well.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You will not find the 8.3L Cummins engine in a 30' Breakaway only in 32'-34' and longer, 5.9L Cummins were used in some 32'-34' Breakaway.

The 8.3L engine is 4-5 inches longer than the 5.9L engine and at least 500 lbs heavier. I looked at the idea of replacing my 5.9L but quickly decided against it. With my engine trans combo, the tail is wagging the dog already, with a longer heavier engine would be much worse.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post