Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof Vent sealant?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Vent sealant?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted
Got my old vent out. Going to put an fantastic fan in it's place.
My question is about sealant. Reading some it looks like Eternabond tape is a good solution, any other recommendations?

thanks
John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I have used successfully the butyl tape (1") that is available at most RV accessory stores. It sticks well, does not harden, and doesn't leak.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Dicor Lap Sealant...good stuff.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
I put the 1" butyl tape between the roof & the vent and a 2" strip of eterna bond on top of the vent cover. This combination really works great!

DON'T use the putty tape as it does not hold up well as the butyl tape. The butyl tape comes in three colors - white, black & gray. I keep white & black rolls on hand as not many RV places stock it and it usually needs to be ordered (not good if you need it for an emergency repair).

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
P.S. If you use the butyl tape make sure that you have some Acryil-Clean DX330 Wax & Grease Remover on hand. Available at NAPA. Butyl tape is VERY sticky & hard to remove. The DX330 works like acetone al laquer thinner but is very mild and fast drying.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Shadowman on this one. The lap sealant flows and fills nice and smooth but doesn't get out of hand and make a mess. I get about 2 years before needing to reseal, and that's in the hot Florida sun 24/7. A 10 buck tube, [maybe 12-14, haven't bought any lately], does a bunch of sealing.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
From what I have been reading the Eteralbond sounds like great stuff, just need to find some. I know I can get it online.

The Dicor sounds good also, think campingworld has it.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I used Liquid Roof when it first came out, about ten years ago. The present owner of that coach reports no roof leaks yet.

I put some on the Barth starting in 2000, and none of it has leaked yet.

Those familiar with So Cal coastal weather will know that we have veritable monsoons when it does rain.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post