Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Allison 1000 vs 2000
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Allison 1000 vs 2000
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
Any wisdom as to how these two differ? There is a place that makes a built up 1000 5 speeds in Fort Walton Beach Fl. Would it be strong enough for a Breakaway with app 225 hp
Thanks
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have a 2000 and would not be afraid of the 1000. Stock the 2000 is a little beefier, but they run enhanced Duramax in front of them all the time.

The biggest draw back will be the bell housing. The Cummins uses a SAE3 which is diffent from the Chevrolet units. The Bell housing can be changed fairly easy. Also have never seen a 1000 with a brake, but I could be wrong.

Good luck in your search.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The place in Ft. Walton Beach is likely Suncoast Converters; I had my 4L80E and torque converter upgraded there. They do an excellent job, and I recommend them without reservation. Nearby Webb's Transmissions can pull the tranny.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Aside from the bell-housing issues, the main thing that would be trouble IMHO is the first gear ratio.

Allison 542 1st = 3.45:1
Allison 1000 1st = 3.10:1
Allison 2000 1st = 3.51:1 some are 3.10:1
Allison 3060 1st = 3.49:1

With the 3.73 rear diff ratio you have now, 1st gear ratios below 3.4:1 would be REAL doggie off the line and also probably would not pull a toad very well. Cruise probably OK but would take a LONG time to get there.

There are so many things to consider for a swap to do it right.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty do you think Sun Coast could build a t c that would not slip like the stock one? If I could gain 20 percent I could cruse at 65 and would be happy.
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need a 2500 HS 1st 3.51:1 5th 0.74:1. That is assuming I can't use one with a "park pawl" ie the 2550 HS
Wayne

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Rusty do you think Sun Coast could build a t c that would not slip like the stock one? If I could gain 20 percent I could cruse at 65 and would be happy.
Wayne

Give them a call; your issues may be other than the TC.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post