Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Allison Turbo 400 Transmission
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Allison Turbo 400 Transmission
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Have an Allison Turbo 400 transmission (no lock up converter) in my '92 Breakaway. This past weekend I descended down a long mountainside in 1st gear braking to keep the tach in 1800 to 2000 range for a duration of at least 10 minutes. Does this excessively wear the tranny? Any need to be concerned about tranny temp.? Thanks for your input.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I think you may be confused about your transmission. GM built the unit, not Allison and it came in a wide variety of configurations. Assuming the one you have was built for the weight and horsepower of the Barth you should not experience any damage as long as it was not overheated on the descent. Normally there was no transmission temperature gauge but it would be wise to add one. The enemy is heat, not the valves that control the shifting and soft material In the clutches. Add a gauge and use a combination of brakes and gearing selected (downshift to 2 on the descent and keep rpm in normal range) and you should not likely cause any issues.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
It is the original tranny. Did not know it was made to varying spec's. That explains how my '85 Chevy 1 ton pick up has a "turbo 400" - however with much lower spec's. than my 9 ton coach. So heat is generated as the tranny restrains, similar to thrust?

I pull a pontoon with my minivan. I installed a tranny cooler and a manual override on the two cooling fans. It reduced my fluid operating temp from 190 to 160 degrees.

Under the left rear of my Breakaway is a condenser with two fans that I believe was for chassis air - rear. I am satisfied using the roof air when need be. Has anyone considered swapping the condenser for a tranny cooler?

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I have question that may have some relevance. Do you already have a cooler? Is there one in the radiator sandwich? Or do you have the goofy one that looks like a goofy canister cooler mounted under the radiator? Or none at all. I am only familiar with the coveted MD 3060

I guess that was more than one question. hmm

I had the goofy canister in DBarth. I was looking at doing or possibly doing what you are proposing. My next step was get a temp sensor to find out what you are dealing with. Do you need to do anything. Do you have a reason to do the modification? I never did it so mine is hypothetical.

I have the same set up in Midnight with the goofy canister. Don’t know what if anything I will check or change. I do have a transmission temp gauge on Midnight so I can see what is happening. My first change will be from normal ATF to Trnysnd Allison spec fluid.

It is not an apples to apples comparison.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT is an Allison 400 transmission good for 250 hp max, with a high stall speed converter (around 2250 i think) that seems to be the standard transmission in the breakaway with the lower hp engine. My 93 has it- the good/bad-- when you take off the engine rpm jumps to the stall speed until you reach the rpm that matches, then rpm will increase with speed. It is a very smooth shifting unit-- but when you let off the gas it seems to free-wheel and is of no or little value going down hill so one must be careful to pick his downhill speed and gear before decent and use the brake if necessary to hold rpm to stay in that gear. Not what would be my choice, but the limitations suit my age and lack of needing a quick trip. If you want a fast trip change to a 5 or 6 speed and jack up the horsepower on the 5.9 or just buy one of the breakaways with that combo and sell yours. as it is there are limitations, but my friend just had the wind blow the roof off his winebago and that won't happen to one of our barths. john

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I am having no performance issues, and never have. I like "mountainous" camping and therefore thinking in terms of prevention.

My factory installed cooler is sandwiched with the radiator, and closest to the engine fan. I run Transynd fluid. Radiator/cooler was recently externally cleaned. (Incidentally, my engine temp. dropped 15 degrees after cleaning (on same mountain ascent. For Jim only: Summit, backside of Uniontown, PA)).

I do not have a tranny temperature gauge. Would certainly be interested in installing one. Does anyone know if a port is available on this tranny? Are they all hardwired? And what temp. do you recommend not exceeding?

Valid point Dana - start with determining if a potential problem exists.

Finally, when looking under coach for a cooler I realized that when cleaning the radiator I probably did not also clean the tranny cooler effectively. Appears I need to apply the degreaser / water from the engine bay area to clean the tranny cooler primarily instead of the radiator primarily. And it is probably the dirtiest of the two.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The Breakaway came with an Allison MT542 not a GM400. Two totally different transmissions. The Allison started life as a '55 Hydromatic. The GM400 was used on gas units built by Chevrolet.

In '93 Barth started using the MT3060 Allisons.

I found it interesting that you called it a GM400 in the text, but listed it as a MT542 in your signature.

I replaced my 542 with a 2000. Almost a R&R. Now have a lock up torque converter and an overdrive. Runs about 1800rpm at 70mph.

The original spartan chassis was a 3 way sanwich. Air to Air cooler from turbo to engine. Next transmission cooler and then radiator. I think the A/C was installed by Barth and in on the side.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
It is an Allison 542. Had a hard time choosing just one emoji. And the winner is ... head bang - sorry. Thread could have been worse (politics). I appreciate all your input.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I will most likely be following in Mr Gary's footsteps and going with the Allison 2000 Mechanic . I believe that upgrade will be worth it for the drop in rpms at cruising speed Tooling Along and the added breaking for decelerating . Add a Pac-Brake to the mix and the stopping power should be really nice . Thumbs Up

You can go too slow up a hill many times , but you may only go too fast down a hill ONCE confusion

cheers

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post