Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    hwh
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

hwh
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I believe I got my Squadrons and Fleets mixed up (there was a reason they didn't want me for a career...). I served in AMPHIBIOUS SQUADRON SEVEN attached to USS BRISTOL COUNTY LST 1198 and later the Squadron Commander. We chopped out to AMPHIBIOUS SQUADRON 3 once we crossed a line in the Pacific. So as you say Tom, 3rd Fleet to 7th Fleet. My brain thought SQUADRON 7 TO SQUADRON 3 ON outchop. My last ashore billet I worked as Training Coordinator for COMPHIBRON SEVEN as a JG. I pulled the CPR7 website and today CPR7 is the afloat SQUADRON Commander. CPR3 must be in San Diego.

http://www.cpr7.navy.mil/Default.aspx

It's been awhile. Finishing Active Duty as a grunt Lieutenant apparently I only absorbed to the Squadron level. Theater Level was beyond my capabilities....

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Not to be critical, but as 7th Fleet Intel Officer and TF 77, TF 76 COS and I must comment that the 3rd is the stateside command and the 7th is the Westpac Command. Give me some years and let's see if we ever crossed paths. I served with MAGV (61-64) USS Bon Homme Richard, - Air Group), USS Oriskany (Air Group) and USS Kitty Hawk (Air Group.). Then with NIC, (Navy Intelligne Command, Suitland) DIA, (Washington), CIA (Langley) and then JCS, Commander, 6th Fleet Staff, Commander 7th Fleet Staff, USAF 13th Air Force (Guam, SE Asia ) and a variety of Intelligence posts in CONUS. Retired May 2000, 39 years 8 mos, 21 days, but who's counting.

Tom, or Rusty: ever run into CDR Harry Jenkins? He was A-4 Squadron XO when shot down Vietnam 1968ish. He was in McCains squadron and after jail-time in the Hanoi Hilton he became CO of the Oriskanny. He was my Long EZ flying/buddy and hangar partner in San Diego.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Cdr Jenkins was the XO of VA 163 on USS Oriskany (CVA-34) when I was assigned to VFP-63 on the Westpac cruise to Vietnam in 1963-64 Since my aircraft were RF-8's we shared a ready room with VF-162 and did not operate directly with the Attack Squadrons. I did look him up in my cruise book and he was included in the Squadron photo. He became CO in late 1964 and was shot down in 1965. I had transferred hot deck to USS Kitty Hawk as Oriskany headed home for another eight months and returned to San Diego in September 1964. We probably met but I never flew with him or VA 163. We flew pre-strike recce and post strike BDA and they would be launching after we returned and recovering as we launched.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Wow! The Navy sounds really complicated. I don't even remember very much about my simple Army years. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Cdr Jenkins was the XO of VA 163 on USS Oriskany (CVA-34) when I was assigned to VFP-63 on the Westpac cruise to Vietnam in 1963-64 Since my aircraft were RF-8's we shared a ready room with VF-162 and did not operate directly with the Attack Squadrons. I did look him up in my cruise book and he was included in the Squadron photo. He became CO in late 1964 and was shot down in 1965. I had transferred hot deck to USS Kitty Hawk as Oriskany headed home for another eight months and returned to San Diego in September 1964. We probably met but I never flew with him or VA 163. We flew pre-strike recce and post strike BDA and they would be launching after we returned and recovering as we launched.

Harry Jenkins was a prince of a man. I knew him, his wife and kids for about 10 years; as I mentioned we flew experimental homebuilt aircraft (Long EZ's) together and were partners in a hangar. He was asked to speak once for the Experimental Aircraft Association chapter in SD once to relay his shootdown and captivity in North Vietnam: truly an amazing story start to finish: and brutal obviously. I believe he was something like 3rd or 4th in the U.S. chain of command in rank in the prison.
He died in his beloved Long EZ circa 1995 on the way home from the Oshkosh show and I went to his funeral in Coronado CA, where he lived. The Navy gave him an F-14 missing man formation and Admiral Stockdale spoke about Harry. He tapped out "Fair winds and Following Seas" in the code they manufactured in the Hanoi Hilton.
I am still in touch with his children:

A few years after Harry died in the Long EZ accident, his son Kirk who lived in Phoenix started attending more Rutan Design fly ins and attended Burt Rutan's birthday party in Mojave CA held every year. At Rutan's birthday party I believe circa 1996, Dick Rutan, Burt's brother and retired AF Fighter Pilot stood up at the large gathering, knowing Harry's son was present, and said that for many missions (going into years) he flew over North Vietnam he wore a POW bracelet with the name on it of US Navy Commander Harry Jenkins. He relayed that on every mission he looked below and thought of Harry. He took it off his wrist and walked over to Harry's son Kirk and presented it to him. Apparently in all the years we were involved with the Rutan aircraft community Dick Rutan had never mentioned this fact to anyone, especially Harry or his family.
The crowd was obviously awed by the circumstances of the connection between Dick Rutan (Famous brother Burt: first civilian in space program, and himself famous for flying the first airplane around the globe w/no refueling) and Harry.

Thought I'd share.

Harry T. Jenkins
http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/j/j025.htm

Dick Rutan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Rutan

Burt Rutan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Rutan

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thought I'd share.

Thank you for sharing this touching story.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
can i get a link to the hwh web site if we can !

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robert and kimberly delucia:
can i get a link to the hwh web site if we can !
http://www.hwhcorp.com/

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post