Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    hwh
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

hwh
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
I have been having a problem with our front levelers . they seem to stick if any dirt gets in back of them. could our springs on the levelers be week they don't seem to strong and also won't pull them in now ? This is a new problem I just push them in by hand.the back comes down slow and they are the last to come down.
thanks
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
IF you have the HWH manual it recommends annual cleaning by flushing the mounts and the pivots. If you spray the pivots with WD-40 and use a wire brush on the arms (not the pistons) you can dislodge the dirt that accumulates in the joints and that should free them up. IF you don't have the manual I think it is available form Bill NY or from HWH's website.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Good advice from tom K. We sprayed every piston & pivot point on ours with WD-40 and it made a huge difference.

Weak springs is also a possible cause. We turned ours 180 degrees so the outside of the curve is against the pivot point. If this doesn't help you may need new springs.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Great advice from everyone here. Tom frequently crawls under the coach and drenches everything (it seems - sometimes including himself Eeker) with WD-40.

Not only does it keep things running smooth, it also acts a preservative.

I've often thought that we should buy stock in WD-40 we use it so much, and on almost everything....

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of WD40 here, however, Tom's rec of spraying it as you use a wire brush is good. I have also used it with steel wool on rusty tools. I don't think it is as good as some other products for that, but it is cheap and doesn't smell as bad as PB.

At the airline, we had WD40 by the drum. We never really found a good use for it, other than potato bazookas. Smiler Oh yeah......And knife sharpening fluid.

I grew up with kerosene always around, either for lamp fuel, tractor fuel or just an all-purpose light oil. My dad kept a spray bottle full of kero handy. WD seems no better than that.

When the airline stopped supplying WD, we used jet fuel (kero) in a small air-pressurized spray bottle. Sure shot or something like that. Seemed to work about the same as WD.

The WD is supposed to stand for water displacing. Well, driving a Lucas magneto-equipped motorcycle in the rain will give you an education on that. WD wasn't as good as other products. Here on the coast, Toyota trucks, for some reason, got crabby in damp weather. Spraying the wires and distributor cap was the answer. WD did not stay working as long as a silicone spray.

Eventually, the airline quit buying it, or used up the stocks. Every original mandated purpose for it ended up with a better product.

Those who filched some for personal use, as well, soon ended up buying a better product for each use. PB for loosening rust, LPS-3 for thick protection, Boeshield for light protection, thicker Boeshield for medium protection, motorcycle chain lube for some moving parts, Dri Slide for others, etc.

Some of this is apocryphal, but it is suspected by some that it does, or did, contain sulfur to make it a better cutting oil, or something. Or, maybe it just wasn't refined out, I dunno. Anyway, the story was that the sulfur would combine with damp air and form sulfuric acid, or at least cause some corrosion. In the '60s, I had a nice pistol rust while I thought WD was protecting it.

However, to be fair, I do have a success story. I was once driven crazy by a squeak under the dash of a car on a long trip, and stopped an bought a can. One spray in the general area stopped the squeak.

However, my wife squeaked for days over the aroma. Even the dog sneezed.

End of rant.

Shields up.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Super Lube aerosol is likely the best candidate. WD-40 has (speaking as a recovering fuels and lube engineer), no earthly purpose as far as I can tell.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Super Lube aerosol is likely the best candidate. WD-40 has (speaking as a recovering fuels and lube engineer), no earthly purpose as far as I can tell.

Rusty

It displaces moisture in a distributor cap...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there is an expensive, exotic, more effective compound for every specific purpose for which WD 40 may be useful. But it's hard to keep them all in a simple garage shop, let alone a traveling toolbox, & none of them are available at any local super market as WD 40 is.

Of course, my attitude is shaped from growing up on a one-horse farm where we made do with what we had, where we never threw anything away that might be remotely useful, where we repaired, rebuilt, or substituted for broken or worn-out equipment, where kerosene was the cure-all for anything coated by, or seized up from rust, & where used motor oil was the favored lubricant for our simple farm equipment.

WD 40 works as well as kerosene, smells better, leaves less residue, & you can buy it in a pocket size container if you feel you must never be without it.

In the face of the technical & professional expertise available on this site, I sometimes feel ashamed of myself for the simple, workable solutions I have developed as substitutes for function-specific parts & tools, rather than searching out identical replacements.

I grew up in time & a culture where mechanics had to use ingenuity to repair things, not simply remove complex components & replace them with identical factory parts.

Perhaps all of this makes me an anachronism, but I still believe that RVs, including Barths, are not the products of rocket science, nor do they require rocket engineers to maintain them.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Super Lube aerosol is likely the best candidate.

Hmmmm............That rang a bell. Several of my cycling friends swear by it as a chain and shifter lube.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've reviewed the specs on Super Lube products, most specifically, the General Purpose Grease and the aerosol. I use both, and have for years. The specs are quite robust, and more importantly, I've never had a reason to regret using it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Great Thread! Hope the leveling jacks get repaired but now I'd like to chime in on General Purpose Lube. Years ago (6 or 7?? I bought some dry teflon based lube at a gun show for small arms. I still have a seemingly lifetime supply of the stuff for you use so little of it. It is predominantly applied in a container looking like a ladies clear nail polish container; you brush it on. You shake the container to get the dry teflon in suspension and brush it on to the gun/weapon your applying it to. The carrier must be in the acetone family for it dries and evaporates almost instantly and the white teflon powder is a dry form that adheres to the metal is the only thing left. I put this on the slides of my .45 and other automatics and basically everywhere I would shoot light oil to previously. I now use it on all small arms including an AR-15. The theory is that the dry lube will prevent/minimize the metal to metal contact WITHOUT needing actual oil. Oil as we all know will capture dust, grit, gunpowder etc and turn it into an abrasive sluice over time: thus the mandate for soldiers to constantly clean and re-clean their weapons. With this new dry lube, there is nothing wet to attract and hold grit, dust gunpowder etc.
It has worked unbelieveably well. I used to methodically clean all small arms after shooting as taught by Uncle Sam. I don't think I have cleaned any weapon for many -years- now. I simply wipe off any gunpowder blast and check the sliding of the mechanisms and possibly reapply some of the dry teflon lube. My guns look amazingly clean after pushing a considerable few boxes of ammo through them.
I am now seeking out any -dry- lubricant that can be found for I'm sold on the theory that not grabbing/holding dirt,dust etc is almost as important as displacing moisture.
I know this info doesn't apply carte-blanche to the bottom of a Barth, but I thought I'd share in case anyone knows of any good dry lubes they've come upon that work well. This stuff I have is purely for firearms.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. This stuff works great on motorcycle chains. I intend to use it on my levelers now that I have been reminded to by this topic.

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
I've got a question regarding the HWH system

I've heard stories about my Barth having a problem where one of the levelers had trouble going back up. I'm sure it just needed to be sprayed down with some type of lubricant.

My question is, are there some type of seals or gaskets that will most likely need to be replaced on the system since it hasn't operated in most likely 10 years? Or should the system still be fine if I just clean it up?

If it's a big hassle, I might just remove it all for now, and figure it out when I have more time to tinker with the small things.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis H.:
If it's a big hassle, I might just remove it all for now, and figure it out when I have more time to tinker with the small things.
You might remove what?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis H.:
You might remove what?

The entire HWH system. I know that might sound a little extreme, but it would just be one less thing to worry about. Unless I can get the system working with less work than removing it, that would be even better.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post