Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air Driven Accelerator Broken
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air Driven Accelerator Broken
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
When mech installed the electronic cruise control, he apparently cut the accelerator cable accidently he says, it was frayed a little. He repaired the cut accelerator cable with a electrical butt splice and some safety wire wrapping. The whole affair looked like an emergency repair so I dug into it this weekend to see what his required to do a more permanent repair (and discuss this with the cruise installer). In trying to remove the air cylinder that actuates the accelerator cable I broke the mounting ears off the air cylinder that mounted it to the bottom of the coach...
Sooooo I put an emergency rig and drove the coach over to my diesel mech's yard at a top speed of 10 MPH.
QUESTION: Can I convert this air-driven accelerator to a cable?? It would have to be a looooong cable: 35 feet. Or is it easier to fix/order proper parts for this accelerator cylinder and cable?
Can the cable alone on the accelerator cylinder be replaced?
Any experience here?
Thanks for all wisdom: I am trying to drive the coach to Scottsdale AZ this Saturday...
Not sure my diesel shop has experience with this system as he is mostly dealing with tractors and trailers.
Thanks for all.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Strato, you have the spartan chassis and I have the gillig chassis. I have schematic of the air throttle and a parts list from gillig. I do not know whether it would the same one or not. But i would call spartan with your vin and I bet they could get you the parts and schematic for the air throttle. I have just ordered some parts for my chassis from gillig with great results. Got new bushings for the front and links on the back. If you think you might can use a copy of any thing I have feel free to let me know. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On my Regency the wipers and accelerator were made by Sprague Devices. They are still around and have parts and upgrades for all their old units. They told me the engine did not matter as mine is a Cat 3208T.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Call Spartan at 800-722-3025, Parts, with the last 6 digits of your VIN. They can supply what you need.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, this is what I think I need to help my mech if he gets lost tomorrow when he sees my situation.
I have a schematic on the problem in question in my Bendix Cruise Control manual.
Thanks again.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I am on my way to repairs: found out a lot and will start a new thread to reveal.