Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Monarch 8.3 Cummins fuel pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch 8.3 Cummins fuel pump
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Just as I got the cooling system finished, I noticed the fuel pump was leaking. The area was really filthy, so I wirebrushed and cleaned the area, Sure enough, the pump has a telltale weep hole near the base and fuel was leaking from there.

It appears the pumps are widely used on both the 5.9 and 8.3 Cummins. Easy to find, prices seem to vary from about $30 to over $100.

pump: Cummins #3932224 gasket: Cummins #3931348

Replacement is straight forward, but not easy. The pump is on the right side of the block, about in the middle. Two fuel lines attached and two mounting bolts. Bolt on the new pump, reconnect the fuel lines, bleed the air out, good to go.

Unfortunately, from below it is just past arm's length, with junk falling in your eyes... head bang

From above, it is also just out of arm's reach, below the floor, blocked by throttle mounts, etc. Long reach, break your back...

From above:

Bend way over, you can just see it through the notch...

Way down by the frame:

Headfirst down in the engine bay, I remounted the new pump and reattached the fuel lines. Using the plunger on the pump, it was easy to prime the system and purge the air. I gave it a few extra pumps to be sure I pushed any air through the system. Engine fired right up. Mechanic

We should be almost ready for Hillsborough! Thumbs Up cheers
It's a good thing, high was only about 48 today. Frowner

Have Barth, will travel, soon Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Nice, Looks like your getting everything dialed in!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Is that 533777 filter getting replaced too?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a scheduled annual visit to the Diesel boys in Gaylord on Nov 6. I will have engine oil and filter changed, both fuel filters also.

They will change transmission fluid and both filters. I have synthetic ATF for the trans.

Grease chassis and driveline, check/adjust brakes.

Service Onan/Kubota genny. Mechanic

THEN I will be ready for Hillsborough! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Thumbs UpBut that sounds expensive to me. Let us know the cost and how the cummins, KUBOTA check up works out.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It is getting cold out and I don't have a good place to drain 5-7 gallons at a time. Maybe next year.

Two years ago they did all that and a new starter and exhaust manifold...$$$

Last year they did 4 new air bags, rear brakes and seals...$$$

This year should be cheap! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My bet is you put a lot more dough into the Barth then you do in the Cessna 172. I am not sure if going down the road in the Barth, is as pleasing as a beautiful day in the sky, but it is sure a close second...you are sure lucky, boat, Barth, Cessna!!! Not to mention the projects they create!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You are right.

The plane costs me about $2000/yr to keep. (Annual inspection, insurance, hangar.) Fuel costs added to that. Not bad really. (It is paid for, no payments there.) I have not put any money into repairs for some time, just filters, plugs, etc now and then.

The 98 costs about $750/yr for plates, half that more for insurance. (It is also paid for.) Spent $4000 first time at shop, $3000 second time. $ 2400 for tires. 2 new ACs, yada, yada. So far more expensive but I spend 4 months a year in it, enjoying good times.

I am indeed fortunate to be able to buy and use the vehicles I have. Prudent purchases with compulsive maintanence has afforded me some very nice, reliable choices for transportation. Old stuff indeed. 68 Cessna, 71 VW bus, 86 boat, 98 coach. Dad's 1927 Matthews 38ft boat..

I am very fortunate to be able to have these things and my health as well. Looking forward to more travel, more friends. That's why I say!

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Not too comfy to sleep in a Cessna and it does not have a fridge with beer ... just sayin'

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez plates are expensive in Michigan, I only pay $50.00 and insurance is about $$150.00. The Nose is not worth nearly as much as your Monarch, but I have equal love for it. cheers

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Thumbs UpBut that sounds expensive to me. Let us know the cost and how the cummins, KUBOTA check up works out.

I got the engine oil and filter changed. (24 qts oil) Two fuel filters replaced. Greased/adjusted all brakes. Greased suspension, steering and driveline.

Checked coolant for concentration and additive level. Inspect air system.

Replaced ATF (I supplied the Mobil Delvac) and both filters were changed.

The generator got a new fuel filter, new engine oil and filter changed also.

The bill for that part was about $1,000 with $130 for the generator. This included all filters and all the engine oil.

The Allison drain and service was the most expensive. $400 plus filters, not including ATF. Fortunately I won't need that again for 30,000 miles or more.

Meanwhile I had some other minor work done to clean up underneath. A muffler bracket and some support for the hydraulic lines, etc.

It appears I will need front brakes soon, also some wear in the steering drag link. I will get brakes and drag link next summer.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp