Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cummins engine S/N, Low Swirl ????
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cummins engine S/N, Low Swirl ????
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted
I enjoyed the Banks product lesson Billyt53 offered and would like to setup my Barth for better performance. It does OK as is but I haven't towed anything yet. I talked with a Banks product rep in Arizona and he indicated that there wasn't much available in the Banks line for the older Cummins. Now I question that after reading what Billyt53 had to say.

The main problem I've been having recently is getting information on the C8.3L from Cummins. I have given the engine number to the Cummins dealer 3 times and they have yet to provide me with the specific information I need. Like, the pressure spec's of the valve springs installed when it was built. From what I understand talking with PacBrake, I will need the heavier intake and exhaust springs in order to hold up to the back pressure created by the exhaust brake. I'm not sure what a Banks exhaust brake would require or even if Banks has an exhaust brake for an older Cummins.

Also, the Cummins dealer isn't sure how long it will take to install the heavier springs assuming I don't already have them on the motor. I have a print out of my cylinder head assembly and there is a term on it called "low swirl". The Cummins guy thinks it is an indication of the valve spring strength but he's not sure. Does anyone have an idea what relationship this has to valve springs? Is it likely that a 300 hp C8.3L would have the stiffer valve springs in it already? My engine S/N is 44811989.

Thanks to all for the wealth of information absorbed from this web site.

roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
You might also want to check BD Performance diesel at http://www.dieselperformance.com/

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Not sure what all is available for the C engine. Lots for the B engine. I got my injectors from Red Oak Diesel Clinic in Red Oak IA. Call them at 712 623 2221. They hot rod a lot of stuff so if they don't have it they know where it is at.

Good luck.

BTW you can also check Cummins marine stuff out.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
check your back pressure it should be 35 or 65 lbs you have a 1/8 pipe plug on the pakbrake the settings should not change unless you adjusted the stop on the cylinder PM me on the gague
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Ordered the B&D exhaust brake and the 60 or 65 lb (depending whom you ask) exhaust valve springs. Also ordered a 0-60 psi turbo boost gauge and a 0-1800 deg F exhaust temperature gauge. So now I have a couple more projects to add to the several dozen I already have.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post