Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    electrical
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

electrical
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/11
Picture of train701
posted
Know absolutely nothing about this coach. Told by a Danville, Va. rv dealer that you could possibly help. Coach is 1991 30 ft breakaway , spartan frame,cummings 6 bt 5.9 engine.Need to know how many and what type batteries are needed to operate this thing since there are none on the tray and any special configuration in the wiring of them. Thank You

Posts: 14 | Location: Eastern NC | Member Since: 01-01-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I have a travel trailer, so I can't really help you. But it's great to see someone close by, I'm about an hour from Danville.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
2 Batteries, in a parallel circuit, will start the coach up and allow you to run it down the highway this time of year.

BTW: If he is quoting you a price, make sure you are quoted a price for a Breakaway Model. But, to be sure, get the "Data Tag" number off of the coach.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
2 Batteries, in a parallel circuit, will start the coach up and allow you to run it down the highway this time of year.

A single 8D is a popular cranker for the 5.9. FWIW our buses at work with Spartan chassis used them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
8D is to big for the battery compartment. I have two 12vdc in parrell on the street side (left) for coach batteries and 4 T105s on the curb side in a parrell/series setup. Two on the curb side is standard.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
8D is to big for the battery compartment.

Wow! That is a surprise. My gasser battery tray is set up for two 8Ds, one for chassis, one for coach. Seems like overkill for cranking a gasser. I have started the 502 with a motorcycle battery. Smiler

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of train701
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your help. I am sure to read alot on the tech page to get most of the info I will be needing.Currently just exploring options on whether to keep the coach or sell it.If you are puzzled by my post,my father passed away in Nov. leaving me his coach of which I know nothing about. Having to learn ever day on this web site what to do.Again, I appreciate your help with this process. train701 Barth build unit #3718

9102 3718 30BS 4B
91 30ft Breakaway, front entry
6BT5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Spartan EC2000

Posts: 14 | Location: Eastern NC | Member Since: 01-01-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by train701:
Barth build unit #3718
Could you send us a few pictures of your coach and maybe one of the tag located over the drivers head or behind the curtain rail.

The second grouping of numbers will be 3718 and will probably look something, or maybe exactly, like this...

9102-3718-30BS-1B

We'll try to help you as much as possible.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I switched out my 2 8Ds on my bus for 2 group 31s after almost losing 4 fingers on each hand when putting them back in the trays one time. One heck of a lot lighter and they have worked just fine for 4 years turning over an 8V71. Cheaper too if i remember right. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
I switched out my 2 8Ds on my bus for 2 group 31s after almost losing 4 fingers on each hand when putting them back in the trays one time. One heck of a lot lighter and they have worked just fine for 4 years turning over an 8V71.

Yeah, the 8Ds were too heavy for me, too. Bad back.

quote:
Cheaper too if i remember right. Big Grin

It seems that the more common sizes offer better value. Something about the economy of scale and competition in the marketplace.

Picture of train701
posted Hide Post
To. Bill N Y: Seems you already know or have seen this coach before. My father and mother travel to many of your Barth Ranger rallies.The data tag shows the exact number you posted with the exception of the last digit which was -4B.When I get the coach moved to my home, wash and shined a little, I will be glad to send you the photos. Again, thanks to all of you. train 701

9102 3718 30BS 4B
91 30ft Breakaway, front entry
6BT5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Spartan EC2000