Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Monarch Basement Air
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch Basement Air
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob & Yvonne M.
posted
I am working on my basement air which is a SCS two stage unit and I have it working good but I have a problem with the PC board. Does anyone have any idea where I could get one? I know they aren't made anymore and I discovered, online, a design flaw in the board. The flaw is that all the AC current for both compressors flow through the board and the high current draw caused problems. I have that rectified with 2 separate 40 amp relays so now the board just triggers the relays. But my board has some issues and I need to either get it fixed or replaced. Any ideas?

97 Monarch

Posts: 43 | Location: White Bear Lake, MN  | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That is a rare setup indeed. Good idea with the bypass relays. Hopefully you can find some info. My Monarch has two roof ACs with ceiling ducts.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Considering you are discussing AC are you down south yet? We drove the coach to Florida late Oct, we will drive the car there in mid December to stay. Will you be at Turkey Creek?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

We are still in MN but are planning on going to Turkey Creek around the 1st of January. We are looking forward to the warmer weather.

I was hoping you would respond, because I know you have a Monarch too. But it sounds like yours never had basement air, so your setup is more like the newer big coaches. Apparently they put the same SCS units in the late 90s and early 2000 Newells and some Prevost conversions so I have read about the problems from their sites. Newell Mfg has a guy that has made new boards for them but of course they are Newell priced so I will try to find a used one or get mine repaired.

Maybe we can get together, at a social distance, this year. We usually go through Arcadia on the way down and I think of you when we pass by. I assume your at the same place this year.

Thanks for the response Steve and have a safe drive to Florida.

Posts: 43 | Location: White Bear Lake, MN  | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
We hoped to meet you folks in Minnesnowta last summer. Another down side to 2020.

We have not seen Deb and Ed in a year. We had planned to do a day trip over that way this winter. It would be good to see all of you.

I have not seen any other Monarch with basement air.... so many variations! Mine has center aisle, with central heat floor ducts and the two ducted roof ACs on top.

We will try and plan a run to Turkey Creek next year. Take care in the great white north!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We had the Newell with the same type of AC. I haven't had any reason to look but would bet that the control boards for a split AC could be used with a little modification. They are the same concept. In fact you could probably just convert to one.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Contact Galco Electronics in Madison Heights Michigan. We, and other industrial companies, send obsolete boards to them for restoration, and they have come back fully restored and warranted. They will answer calls and give you good advice. They can also help with the design issues like routing full power through switches as you have already mentioned.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.
Gary, I talked with a guy in Texas with a Newell that has the exact same AC unit and he said his coach almost burned up because of the design flaw in the board. His actually caught fire. He is the one who redesigned it using the external relays to power the 2 compressors so that is where I got the idea.

Doug and Tom, thanks for the references. I found a company out east that repairs these exact boards and so I sent it to them. This is a 27,000 btu unit so I am looking forward to getting it running.
I talked with Dana a day or two ago and his Monarch does not have a basement unit either so I guess your right Steve, not many did.

posted Hide Post
This is the exact unit that I have in my coach.

https://www.prevostcommunity.com/PDF/Model%202702.PDF

On a totally unrelated matter, how do I put the info on my coach at the bottom of my posts. I have tried on my info page but it never posts. Thanks.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Go to Your Profile Settings from portal page. Upper right is a link to edit your profile.

Fill in the Signature box there.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our Newell had 4 100vac units. Yours must be 220 for that many BTUs. Anyway the only trouble I had was a couple of blower motor bearings. Could not find replacements so I swapped the bearings around. Worked great with little investment.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. When I went there it says I do not have permission to use the signature block. How do I get that?

Gary mine has two separate 20 amp 110 volt circuits. One powers the #1 compressor, the inside fan, both the high and low setting and the outside fan (condenser fan) on low setting only.

The second one powers the #2 compressor and the outside fan on high setting which runs on high only when the #2 compressor is running.

The inside fan and outside fan is their terminology. I replaced the outside fan which is 1/4 horse and turns a regular fan because it was sluggish. The inside fan is 1/3 horse and turns a squirrel cage type fan. Its a pretty good design except for the circuit board flaw.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob & Yvonne M.:
Thanks Steve. When I went there it says I do not have permission to use the signature block. How do I get that

Send an email to Bill NY. He must have to update/activate your privileges. Emails work better than a PM here. He has been crazy busy since the Covid took over.

Good luck with the AC!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Well I now have my basement air working great. When that second stage kicks in, (the second compressor and Hi on the fan) wow is that a blast of cold air. Beside adding the two remote 40 amp relays for the compressors, I sent the circuit board out for repair and they found a couple of things wrong with it. The true test will be in Florida when it is 85 and humid.

On another note, I have sent two emails to Bill NY requesting permission to be able to add a signature to my profile and have not heard back from him so I am still unable to do that.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you got that AC working! We just got to Florida and glad to be here. We will try to see you guys at Turkey Creek this winter. Safe travels!

Bill has been crazy busy with his business, family and health issues. Hopefully he will get a break soon and spend more time on the site. We still have no solution for posting photos either.

Take care, see you soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp