Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Black water holding tank
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Black water holding tank
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Have a 1988 Barth.The following information was
on a binder that came with it from a previous owner.
Coach 8805/3540/25CB
Chassis-Chevy P30 Power Train-454 400TH

The rest of information in binder is on wiring
and the different items in coach.

I have not been able to find any information on the holding tanks. Someone said to look for the number on the tank, but I was not able to see one.
I need the tank replaced as I have already tried
the various patching methods suggested and they didn't help probably because of it being at a connection point. Can anyone tell me where to look for replacement tanks and where I can find
out a model number for the tank. Is there a place
where this information is located? Am living in
my Barth and a new tank is a must because it is leaking. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Member Since: 03-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bill: Welcome to Barthmobile.
Bill: Welcome to the site. Scroll up to "SEARCH"
Type in Holding Tanks. See if this helps. .....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem a few years ago. Tried everything to get that leak stopped but it was like a runny nose in the springtime. Finally got hold of PPL in Houston. They have live people who know what they're doing. Make a diagram of the tank with measurements and outlet location. Call them, and they'll tell you how and what to order. They'll probably want you to fax the diagram.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/p...nitation-1.htm#Waste Tanks - Holding Tanks

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Welcome to barthmobile.

Thank you for supplying us with your tag# (coach#) - Nice. Thumbs Up

I'm with Danny on this - If you can't get it to seal after trying the methods outlined above - use PPL for a new tank.

Do you have a picture of your coach that you can share too? We love pictures.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
This looks like a good spot to add info about the black water tank. I replaced mine. It was a dickens of a job (I was thinking words stronger than 'dickens' at the time.)

I don't know if it was a rock kicked up, too much UV radiation, or overspray from the prior paint jobs that weakened the tank. The plastic is very brittle and beyond repair. Lots of cracks in it.

The tank I have is used for 1 toilet and 2 sink drains. It measures 20" x 54" on the top. 12" deep. I knew I had a slow leak that I couldn't remedy so when I saw a tank on ebay that was 18" by 48" I figured I could make it fit. It was new and $10.

Given I wanted to go to NH last weekend, I couldn't go without a working tank so I set about to getting this in.

My old tank is installed by Barth by having threaded rods come through the framing to which steel beams are attached to secure the tank from underneath. The rods looked like they could not be used because the threads were very rotted so I cut the rods about half way up. Fortunate for me I didn't cut them flush with the floor above.

I got the old tank out, and when placed side by side with the new tank, I saw that the seller didn't properly measure the tank. The new tank is 20x54x12, and looks like it came from the same mold. The vendor was Ameri-Kart, and they are at http://www.ameri-kart.com/rv.asp. What I got was an exact replacement.

I tried to find better ways of attaching the tank, but pressed for time, I looked again at the rods I'd cut. They were not too bad in terms of rust up near the floor above. I was able to find the end of one of them inside of the bathroom cabinet and could see that it was made with a wide thick washer held in place with a nut and maybe welded in place. It was hard to see. I was unable to remove it for closer inspection.

I oiled the rods and ran a tap up them to clean up the threads. I used a coupler and new threaded rods to make the attachments work out.

I measured the top of the old tank and measured again and measured again to make a cardboard template to assist me in cutting holes in the top of the new tank. I held my template up to the old tank and to the drains above and it looked good. I used a hole saw and cut holes such that I would have about 1/8" freedom of movement on the rubber fittings. They have a half inch flange.

I bought new rubber fittings at a local RV store to make the interface to the PVC pipes coming down. I used a grinder to bevel the PVC pipes to give me a little more freedom in guiding the new tank in to position. I used a GE flexible caulking around the rubber seals to assist in sealing. I took the toilet out so that I'd only have to initially align the tank with the two fixed position sink drains. That worked out well and I then put the toilet back in place.

No problems this past weekend with the black water tank!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
resurrecting an old thread to add info..

My black water holding tank is out at RV Doctor George in Sacramento for repair/replacement due to a larger crab possible occurring as tank was dry for a number of years when in storage before and after I bought it. Repair may be a possibility ( see here.. ). I took a number of pic's of the tank, but unfortunately, didn't think about actual measurements D'oh . I took several pics of the 'data plate' from different angles making it 'easier' to read specs..

additional info from Barth forums using 'holding tank' as search term..
holding tank

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post