Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Power to insrtument panel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power to insrtument panel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
The electrical power to my insrtument panel keeps coming and going and coming and going - oh my.

This is possibly a poor ground issue. Does anyone have a recommendation for trouble shooting??

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain - my instruments twitch when the turn signal's on. Mines got the DD 6.5L TD and GM instrumentation, and I've located 6 chassis grounds (and refurbed them all) to no avail.

It sounds like we both have a harness-tracing party looming...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
What are you loosing? What still works? Let's start off with all of the facts on circuit problems...

You have also been playing around with the shutoff/charging circuit. Has this just started after that or has this been going on for awhile now?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my '95 Gillig chassis, there is a compartment forward of the driver's side front wheel that contains a bunch of fuses, from 3 buss bars. One of the buss bars is fed by a relay that is picked by the ignition switch. That relay takes the 12V from the first buss bar and feeds it to the 2nd one. The instrument panel is one of the items fed from that second buss bar.

I had the instrument panel flash a few times while going down the road and found that the ignition switch connection that picks the relay was loose right on the relay. Just tightened the nut and problem went away. Everything else that was fed from that buss bar were things not noticeable while just driving down the road especially when the failure was momentary.

Of course, I'm old, have been bounced around a lot and just may have a screw loose too.

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Bill NY,

Yes I have been fooling with the charging circuit, but it was about a month ago, with a camping trip in between before I started having the problem. Basically most of the dash items are out, no wipers, back-up camera and all guages except the volt meter and the two air guages.

Mike,

I have the same set-up you describe in a compartment on the driver's side up front. I had a problem with the solenoid and replaced it last year. I have checked and the ignition switch does energize the solenoid, but the dash is still out.

I have been away for about a week and have not been able to do any trouble shooting, so this is the most info I have at this point. I'll get to work on it tomorrow (Wednesday 7/4). I'll keep you folks updated.

Bill

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the 12 fuses with their circuits that are affected on my coach if that relay drops or is intermittent. I've seen this same setup (not necessarily this listing) on other Gillig-built chassis and don't know exactly how similar yours is. Listed from the inside of the box toward the outside:

Fuse Wire Function
20A 96C, 208 A/C compressor circuit, A/C Fan speed selector switch
7.5A 34 Dash gauges
7.5A 68 Hydraulic jacks switch (if installed)
20A 74 Wipers & washer switches
7.5A 75 Cruise control switches
7.5A 76,77 Air purge relay, Dash Alarm
7.5A 67, 374 Backup monitor, Low hydraulic relay (via Gillig 135E)
7.5A 79 Backup switch (via Gillig #21)
20A 245 Air drier (via Gillig #78)
20A 78, 134 Mirror heat circuit board, Cab heat circulating pump
20A 84 A/C fans relay
20A 83 Dash A/C control

In my case, only the gauges flipped off/on while driving. Nothing else (wipers, etc.) were in use so I didn't notice any of the others. The failure wasn't solid.

Since you were working with that relay, I would be really critical inspecting this area. 4 points on the relay and the corresponding 4 points for the other ends of those wires.

Mike

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Mike, Bill NY, and Rusty,

The problem turned out to be the solenoid that Mike spoke of up front in the electrical compartment. It powers the front electrical needs. I had replaced it last summer with an automotive solenoid when the original quit working. The unit worked, but was just not quite up to the task.

After getting together with my friend who runs a truck repair service, he got a Cole Hersee commercial solenoid for me. It is a model # 24059 and looks very much like the original. Here is a link to the part.

http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm

The unit is functioning as it should and I will be able to get away on vacation without needing to be concerned about that problem.

Thanks for all your help, it's always nice to be in touch with the Barth family when assistance is needed.

May all your travels be interesting and without problems.

Bill G

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine has the GM instrument panel - I've pretty well decided the issue is 12V supply to the panel, as all the gages twitch when the turn signal's on - this wouldn't happen if it were a ground issue. Lights, A/C fans, wipers all work normally.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post