Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Weight Rating
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Weight Rating
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My 1983 35'Regency on an MCC chassis has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 22,000 pounds. What is the gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR)?
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
If the question is what your gross combined weight is; I don't know. There should be a metal tag somewhere showing the rating. 22k sounds light for a 35ft coach. It sounds more like an empty weight.

If the question is what does GCVW mean, then it means the weight of your coach (and stuff) PLUS the weight of a towed vehicle.

e.g., if your coach weighs 19,000lbs empty, and the GVW is 22,000, and the GCVW is 28,000, then you can put up to 3,000lbs into the motorhome without overloading it. Then you can tow a vehicle up to 5,000 lbs.

In the prior example, you could load 2000lbs of people and stuff into the coach, and also tow up to 6,000 lbs. You could NOT however, load the coach with 4,000lbs and tow 4,000 because you would be overloading the coach by 1,000 lbs, of too much people and stuff.

When loading you should pay attention to side to side loads and front to back loads. Since there are many places to weigh vehicles, you can check front and rear weights separately. Sometimes the weight limit is based on the tires. My motorhome has an axle rating 300lbs higher than the front tires can handle so the limit is based on the tires.

I hope this was the question.

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. It is a good explanation of GVWR/GCWVR. However, I do know the difference between GVWR and GCVWR. From the data plate, the GAWR Front is 7500lbs. and the Rear is 14,500lbs. Hence, the GVWR is 22,000lbs. There is no GCVWR rating on the data plate. These figures match those on the original build sheets for the coach. The answer I am looking for would be expressed in pounds.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

I think you are not going to find what you are looking for. I looked through all of the MCC literature I have and I could not find any gross "combined" weight rating.

Now I did call Leslie Hoagland at Motor Coach Restorations 217-735-1536. He is the MCC professor. He told me that the 8.2 DD power train at 205hp is rated at 30,000#. If you have the 230hp turbo you can bump that up to 33,000#. He and others have told me that the original brakes were perhaps undersized. He provides an entire new brake system that meets the needs, he says. So what I think he was saying is that if you weight your vehicle you could safely carry the difference. I really don't know how you constue that info to toad weight. because you are obviously not carrying that weight unless your going up a 90 deg grade.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to call him he is very available...

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 12, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
might as well piggy back on to a , some what, related if not ancient ( no reflection on those thread posters from 'back- in-the-day.. Salute ) thread re: my current question..

once again,my great TX title journey which also records the weight of my coach at 2200 (1 metric ton) confusion

the previous seller, when queried, in essence said something to the effect of " well, with that weight, I pay cheaper taxes.."

great... head bang however, I need this stuff to be correct, so along with my re-issue of the re-issue VIN debacle , I'm going to request they add a zero to the weight notation making it 22000. When I asked TX DMV re: what goes in that place they said, it wasn't the GVW but an un-ladden (Dry) weight figure..

QUESTION OF THE THREAD, at least currently..

What are the GVWR weight ratings posted on your 34' Gillig Chassis-ed, 22.5" wheeled , Cat 3208 motored, Barth's data tag, irrespective of the model ( Breakaway/Regency/etc..)

deadhorse what a pain not to have ANY paperwork accompany your coach.. Why wouldn't any previous owner leave all the applicable doc's with a coach with all these different systems..?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
what a pain not to have ANY paperwork accompany your coach.. Why wouldn't any previous owner leave all the applicable doc's with a coach with all these different systems..?

Good question, I got nothing with my coach either. That is why the site archives are so valuable. Every time I get something that applies to my coach I try to put in the archives to help prevent others having to re-invent the wheel.

I suspect some sellers are disgruntled by the sale and try to stiff the buyer by having no docs. My coach was in a lot in New Hampshire when my sister in law found it. Perhaps the seller did not trust the consignment dealer to keep the docs but they were never produced and efforts to contact the previous owner were a dead end.

Very frustrationg to have an orphan to begin with but worse with no docs. We still have no data on my Neway TA-5 tag axle and I have not found any.

Good luck with your quest, don't forget to share (as usual) with the site. Thanks Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:

What are the GVWR weight ratings posted on your 34' Gillig Chassis-ed, 22.5" wheeled , Cat 3208 motored, Barth's data tag, irrespective of the model ( Breakaway/Regency/etc..) [/color] ?

You might trying reviewing this information from the DATA TAG listing. There are pictures there of dozens of Regency and some Breakway Data Tag photos there that will have that exact information.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
huh..didn't even think about that resource.. thanks Nick..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
OK, here's what I found in the great Data Tag project table.. I know, I need to get out more often.. Cindi's in CA currently, so not much going on in Maine java

Criteria search:
Gillig Chassis 43 ea
3208 CAT // of those 29 ea ( + one unknown 'CAT') no distinction maybe between HP ratings..
34' // of those 7ea
not Widebody // of those 4ea (at least those listed as WB) (if interested the other 3 ea 34's are DD's - #85 8.2L / #152 6V92 and 1 CAT/#154 3176)

Breakaways, 2 ea same data tag description/specs
#3687 25600GVWR #3694 (me) 26500GVWR

Regencies 2 ea
102 Data Tag Not Avail
119 Data Tag Not Avail

not too helpful there..

on the 2 Breakaway's, what would be the difference in the same exact data tag specs that caused the front end weight on mine to be 900 lbs more..? Different generator or none at all or ? and Gillig wouldn't have installed a generator anyway, correct, so..are the Data Tag weight figures Gillig or Barth generated..?

just a quick pitch here, check your entry in the Data Tag table, missing any info or anything incorrect? Nice having that resource..

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Mike, several of the 34's are wide bodies. If there is a frontal picture, look for the third piece of glass in the middle of the windshield. The rated weight will be approximately 30,000#. That is about 5,000# heavier than the same coach on a Spartan chassis. Also the Gillig chassis are almost perfectly balanced in my opinion with 2/3 of the weight on the rear axle and 1/3 of the weight on the front axle.

The actual weight will be less than the rated weight by several thousand pounds. The best information will be gathered by having your coach weighed. Some places can even check the weight by each wheel. Prepare the coach just as if you are fixing to take off on a 5,000 mile trip. Full fuel tank, full fresh water tank, empty holding tanks, every thing your going to take in the storage bays, and what ever you can put inside the coach.

Now I'll stop there and tell you NOT to make the final MISTAKE I made. When I was all prepared to go get the coach weighed, I told the wife what I was doing and asked if she wanted to ride over with me. BIG MISTAKE. With quite a scowl I was told "She was sure it would not make that much difference"

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Mike, several of the 34's are wide bodies.
Didn't count the wide bodies

quote:
Now I'll stop there and tell you NOT to make the final MISTAKE I made. When I was all prepared to go get the coach weighed, I told the wife what I was doing and asked if she wanted to ride over with me. BIG MISTAKE. With quite a scowl I was told "She was sure it would not make that much difference"

your wife doesn't read these posts,does she.. Superman maybe she should have taken the coach to the scales w/o you... Big Grin just kiddin' mate... cheers

just a quick pitch here: check your own entry on the Data Tag list. Anything missing (i.e.: pic of data tag and/or coach) or needing to be changed? Nice to have a resource like that..! . Thumbs Up

M/C-W