Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fire suppression... think about it
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fire suppression... think about it
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Should have drank all the beer ahead of time to be ready with the hoses! confusion ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I saw this on tv . element fire .com

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
hmm very impressive! confusion

I will need to check this out some more. It can be used upside down or sideways, very little residue... java

Thanks Craig! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I'm with Steve and can see myself buying atleast a half dozen of these for the coach, house & car.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I just ordered two of them. Worth a closer look.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Steve, I am not coming up with a suitable chemistry mix to light off and do this. Perhaps Mg powder and? I am not going to encircle myself in that cloud and breathe no matter what it is, especially without knowing. 2nd question is, does it work on serious fire? Oil in a pan is aggrevation, it may be low temperature depending on the oil, put the lid on. I didn't see smoke and it was easily relit so the oil could be charcoal lighter. Just musing.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Some of their info indicates the main ingredient is KNO3, with an organic oxidizer. When it reacts the products are free K+ radicals, nitrogen gas, water vapor and some CO2. The K+ ions bind with oxygen in the air to form potassium oxide and the gases further smother the fire.

Other than the K+ ions it should not be too toxic. The ions would probably react before they are inhaled. The potassium oxide will react with water and form alkaline potassium hydroxide. This would be an irritant to respiratory tissues. Not good to inhale deeply but no more harmful than the usual copious amounts of ABC chemicals, a powdered mixture of monoammonium phosphate and ammonium sulfate.

I agree, not good to inhale but no worse than typical combustion products or the dry chemical powders.

One of their demo videos shows a sizeable car fire being smothered. Given their small size, minimal residue and length of discharge they seem like a reasonable choice for kitchen grease fires or car engine fires. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
My go to calls for engine fires other than the boat are, 911 followed by my insurance agent.
It's a pretty neat deal, I doubt the Coasties have or will approve. It would be pretty neat in the engine bilge, fire lights it off and it shuts the fire down.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
They state the units are not UL approved, so not a substitute for required units. No expiration or inspections needed though.

Since they require a chemical reaction to activate, they do not fall into any normal UL category. Also not FAA approved for shipment by air.

It appears they most resemble CO2 units, ie they smother with gases that are heavier than air. Some endothermic heat absorbtion from the potassium compounds, though.

I am willing to give them a try. Ordered them last night, they have already been shipped UPS.

to be continued: hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Did I read that right? 80 bucks for 1 minute of miracle gas.Or is that per case?
I guess that is a cheap price to pay if it could save a classic VW bus. Water, if available and practical for the occasion, can offer an endothermic heat absorbing function as well as a smothering effect when it turns to steam. Of course
the amount needed would limit its portability. Click Just saying.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Water is usually better, except electrical and grease fires. Dry units are usually only 10-15 seconds unless very large. Smaller units without hoses cannot be used upside down underneath either.

5lb CO2 is over $150 and 10 seconds discharge. 5lb dry chemical about $50 also about 10 seconds.

I wished I had an old style copper tank water unit. Tip upside down, get about 4 gallons of water though hose for 20-30 seconds. Heavy and bulky though.

These are not cheap at $80 but very small, will be easy to get to, 50 seconds discharge each, can be used inverted. Good for kitchen drawer or car glove box.

Still wish I had a garden hose or 5 gallon pail ready then.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
2 1/2 lb halotron fire extinguishers start at $125.00. I'm with you Dick, just out off touch with what's used today and what does it cost.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Sure hope none of my Barth brethren testify first-hand as to their effectiveness.

They are attractive and relatively (big picture) cheap.

The only demonstration I saw was the fuel in a pan. Are there others? If it's true that they smother the fire that may explain why the barbecue grill demonstration was a fire Down In A Pan. Are they as effective on say - elevated flat surfaces? Thanks.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been some time since I purchased or priced extinguishers. The latest, about a year ago was a Kidde 5 BC (grease and gas, electrical) about 10 second duration,
cost less than 20 bucks. Older ones 3 lb.ABC's all under 12 to 15 dollars. still have the pointer in the green.
value is all relative I guess
Lets pray none of us ever need one again.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
just out off touch

Nick, oooh sooo true! As we become longer in the tooth "out of touch" becomes the password.