Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best RV Tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best RV Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Need some advice on best RV tires for a Class C with 16" rims. Rusty, if this should be in the 'general' forum, please move it.
My kids just bought a Winnie Class C, Ford 450 chassis, 16" rims. They need to replace tires. Came with Michelin LTX tires. He understands the need for a tire with proper compounding. He's thinking about Michelin XPS but doesn't like the price. Would appreciate any advice.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keirn and Carolyn
posted Hide Post
My Barth got ToYo's last Summer.
A SOB motorhome I had last Spring also got ToYo's.
Michelin with the FMCA discount was tempting but I had ToYo's on the steering axle before and I liked them real well. Also the ToYo's were still much less than the Michelins with the FMCA discount.

Keirn Rush
Trent Woods, NC.

Keirn
95 Monarch 34' (Sold)
8.3L Cummins 250Hp
Spartan IC Chassis
Now a Bluebird BMC 37

Posts: 29 | Location: Trent Woods, North Carolina | Member Since: 07-11-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A few years back, Michelin had some quality problems in their RV tire line. Many people were not happy with the company's settlements.

I have not run them myself but they are not cheap. Have been pleased with the Goodyears and Bridgestones on the coach. I have run ToYo tires on several cars and they were satisfactory.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim and Terry, hope this finds you doing ok. I replaced my tires last year with yokahamas. The yokhamas that were on the coach were 10 years old and no problems so I replaced with the same brand and when dealer ordered them they were just 2 months old, 255/60R 22.5. And were $400 a piece mounted and spin balanced with new valves, the i sold the old six tires for $425. It was Nickelson tire in Minerbluff, GA. And were about $300 cheaper per tire than Michelin with FMCA price.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had poor results with Bridgestone:

1T Ford Van: 3 bad, 2 blowouts, with one taking out the rear quarter panel

Lexus LS 400: 3 bad (Belt separation), all replaced.

Barth: 3 blowouts at the sidewall/belt seam, all inner rear. On the last blowout, I replaced both tires with Michelin XZA.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I've bought a dozen 16" XPS tires over the past decade....all of them performed flawlessly. I run 235's on the steer axle and 225's on the rear, all on 6" Alcoa rims. I'm sold on them...

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have 3 year old chinese on the steer and 2 year old chinese on the drive axle. Happy with them.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Hi
I have the Ford chassis with 16" rims and I have been running Toyos for 3 years and 15,000 miles
Very happy with them

Neil

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Jim & Terrre am I to understand the kids did get into RVing finally too bad you could not have interested them in a Breakaway ,oh well such is life. Hope this message finds you healthy & happy , does not look like I will get away south at all this year, still no satisfaction from Florida Detriot Diesel ALLISION ON that tranny I did not need, I will be taking then to small claims next year when I AM in the area. Paul Finley.

Posts: 87 | Location: fenelon falls ont. | Member Since: 06-27-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you, Paul. With 3 kids, they needed the flexibility of a Class C. There are a few Barth Class Cs out there but they are pretty ancient. The Winnebago they bought has all steel sidewall and roof structural members with gel coat fiberglass. In addition the roof is one piece fiberglass. It's a 2008 model with only 11000 miles, ready to go with no projects.
Sorry to hear about your problems with Detroit Diesel. Keep after them. A lot of these outfits just try to wear you down. Don't give up. Hope you are still enjoying your Breakaway.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The Michelin people said not to use the XPS because the sidewall was too stiff and would create a bad ride. He said to use the Michelin LTX instead. This is a 14,500 GVWR motor home with a 5000# front axle and a 10000# rear axle, roughly the same as a lot of 28' Regals and Breakaways. I've never heard of the sidewall being too stiff. In fact, as I recall, some of us using Michelin XRVs, complained about the sidewall being too flexible. Of course that's on 19.5 " tires rather than 16". Would appreciate more thoughts

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B