Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    How much weight is too much weight.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How much weight is too much weight.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
I don't know exactly how I get talked into these things but for the 4th time, I have been nominated to drive a wedding party from the church to a hall and a few other places (probably a bar because I can't drink if I am drivin em D'oh). I have loaded her down pretty good for a few bachelor parties (12 guys, some larger than others)but this will outdoo all of them. The wedding party is 12 deep but these guys are huge. I am a pip squeak compared to the smallest so I guess all of the fellas average out to 240. The girls thank God are standard size to skinny but that still brings me up to an estimated 2220 lbs. If I only fill the gas tank half way and add no water for the bath, I can save about 480 lbs in fluid which would bring my total added weight to 1740 roughly. (I cant get rid of any more fuel than that or the generator wont run due to lack of fuel and with that many people in full dress garb, that could be ugly.) What do you guys think?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I think you should learn to say NO Wink, but I don't know the answer to the weight Eeker

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
Have you calculated your actual cargo carrying capacity? Should be easy enough to figure out, though if your literature does not contain
an empty weight you might have to run over the scales at a truck stop.
Water and fuel are easy enough to calculate and your GVWR should be on the door. You either have the capacity or you don't and you failed to mention what coach you have which would have helped answer you.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Whoo Hooo! The Party Barth!

Kris has a short Barth, a Texas Highway Patrol. It's way cool.

Can't help you with the weight thing, but those folks will remember it, or maybe not.

How did it handle with your other groups?

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
A case of beer weighs 18 lbs. Don't forget to add the amount they will drink at the bars minus that left behind in the urinals cheers

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post

This the 1996 22' sold on here a couple years ago. We all like this one. Notice the 15,500 chassis and the 14,800 net weight. Giving this barth 700 lbs carrying capacity. Check your title. Mine is listed at 12,900. Yours should be nearly the same. 15,500 - 12,900 = 2600 lbs carrying capacity. Please check my math. You could probably put lite beer in the water tank to save weight cheers

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You still need to weigh the Barth to see exactly what it weighs today then go from there. You might already be overweight depending on what has been done to it over the years.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dustyjeeper,

I don't think you got that quite right.

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the amount of weight the entire vehicle can handle, in this case 14,800. The GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) tell what each axle can carry independently, in this case front = 5500 and back = 10,000. What we don't know is the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), this is obtained by weighing the vehicle. The GVW must not exceed the GVWR and the bias of weight should not exceed the axle ratings.

What Kris/Tina need to do is weigh their Barth to obtain the GVW then compare to the GVWR, the difference tells how much weight it can hold. I suppose if it were close they would even want to be concerned with where people sit too.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I agree. I don't have it.
My 23' is very similar. cwt 12900. Yes this is on my title. No Barth has supplied no tag to tell more.

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Any regulations/laws pretaining to standees? Trolleys and busses require straps attached to the ceiling. Just a thought...............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(12 guys, some larger than others)but this will outdoo all of them

Carl brings up an important problem, your state appears to require seat belts for all passengers, no RV exemption. That could get expensive, never mind the liability question.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all input and keep it coming. I will weigh the Barth completely loaded and get back with you guys on the data obtained.
quote:
Carl brings up an important problem, your state appears to require seat belts for all passengers, no RV exemption. That could get expensive, never mind the liability question.

The whole purpose of using the Barth is to save the Bride and Groom money. Limo's dont come cheap and we are taking a calculated risk(even though I am not finished calculating Roll Eyes).
The previus trips were ok but like I said before, these guys are huge.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Take only the women; leave the fat guys home!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I was also wondering about finding tow ratings for these Barths.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Tow ratings are generally determined by something listed as GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight). I've seen such listings for automobiles, pickups, & vans, but never on a Barth. Perhaps it doesn't apply to commercial truck chassis. Somebody here ought to know for sure.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post