Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel starved genset
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel starved genset
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
My Koehler commander 7.5 kW genset starts great but begins to shake and run rough after a few minutes. I have a porcelain fuel filter in front of the regulators and it's clean. Any suggestions? Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I don't have a KOHLER. But, my diesel powered 10KW genset would not stay running when I had porous, deteriorated fuel lines. The fuel pump for it is really tiny -- not powerful enough to supply the engine if air is getting mixed with the fuel.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Richard, I have a 6.5 on the boat, a 4 cylinder engine, the same was used on the 7.5 with a different carb if memory serves. Two questions come to mind, easiest first, do you have a decent load on the genny? I am thinking above 50%. Second is not so easy, the fuel pump can be iffy, a perforated diaphragm or diaphragm that is soft, that would allow it to run but not deliver sufficient fuel to keep the carb bowl filled. FWIW,
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Is your Koehler a Diesel? If so the small fuel line pump is just a “lift” pump that supplies the high pressure pump on the engine. Ours is a 4 cyl Kubota. This pump can be purchased at most Auto Zones for about $40, sometimes less. The model is not important only that is produces about 6gpm and runs off 12v. Because of the age of the lines it is best to drop the tank and replace all rubber connections. Ours has rubber from the tank to the metal line attached to the frame rail and then rubber from the metal line to the lift pump. The tank is held by a couple of steel straps that are not difficult as long as you have something to support it. Use antisize when you replace the bolts. On some coaches there is access under the carpet in the front of the kitchen.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Diesel, Gasoline or Propane??

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Richard has propane. They are camping and may not have WiFi

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
as i played with the genset, I noticed that it ran great with no load but the minute I flipped the breakers on, it started to run really rough. Would it make sense to flush the regulators out with carb cleaner or gasoline?

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with lp units but, big guys in the pool hall tell me the carb stays clean, but pressure regulator may suffer age but first and always check ignition side. Plugs, particularly gap and condition, wires, replace because they are pretty cheap. Clean the cap, dress the rotor and points.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
An internet search suggests that the slip rings can cause this problem as well .

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/...31112/print/true.cfm

http://blog.goodsam.com/cleani...and-brushes-part-19/

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Also check the governor rod for ease of movement , i read that they can stick from getting dusty.

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Would it make sense to flush the regulators out with carb cleaner or gasoline?

NO The propane vaporizer has diaphragms that can be damaged by aggressive cleaners. If your vaporizer is mounted so the drain can be opened and the oily substance (used to add odor to the propane) can be drained that is the first step.

Second, check the spark plug gag, should be no more than 0.018", yes closer than for gasoline but propane is harder to light. The diaphragms may have failed in that case, a person familiar with vaporizers and have the proper equipment to rebuild and calibrate must be used!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Well sportsfans, the genset is dead! ordered a 5500 Onan brand new today. Frig it. I ve had problems with this one for three years and my patience wore thin. ho needs money anyway?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
While you are on a shopping spree buy new lines too (if you going propane). On our Beaver they started leaking from old age

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
generators need to be "exercised" at regular intervals, under load, or they die. nono A former owner of my FT neglected to do that, resulting in $ten coach buck dynamo replacement. confusion What Dave Ramsey calls "Stupid Tax" D'oh
come to think of it hmm .... I better go out and run mine right now

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post