Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    AC advice wanted.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

AC advice wanted.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Boonkagon
posted
Quick question in AC units. Our 1973 25’ has two AC units of two distinct vintage. The rear unit over the beds is I believe from 73’. It does turn on but haven’t had a chance to see if it cools. The front is from 90’ and at the moment does not turn on ( haven’t had time to TS)

My first question is, does a 25’ Barth need 2 units? The PO actually added insulation under inside panels.

Second question, Is a 15,000 btu unit powerful enough?

Im contemplating pulling both units. Replacing the rear with a new Unit. And putting a magic fan in the front hole.

Is this wise?

I’ve attached a pic of the unit I’m considering .

Posts: 38 | Location: Berrien Springs, Michigan  | Member Since: 09-18-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Neither of my 25ft Barths have two A/C units. Nose has a 4 year old Coleman 15000 btu unit and NO insulation. The Coleman is not a first class unit, however it does the job. 88 has an original Dometic and it also does the job no insulation there either. Both have dirty roofs too.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I would think a 15K unit would be fine in your coach. A fan would really be wise. We use our fan a lot.

I am not familiar with the AC you show. Perhaps someone else can comment

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a guy ( big shop) in shipshewana in , who is the rv ac go to guy

i have used him twice . A new 15000 , high 10 inch , unit installed this summer was $600.00 , scratch and dent . lower is more money .

my guess is a 15000 unit is good enough unless you are going south in the summer or one of those people that " cooler " is not good enough .

try https://fixyourfridge.com/

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
That is where I Had my refrigerator installed. I am happy with everything. Even got an ice maker with my refrigerator.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they fixed my fridge too ... i also happy.

it is under new ownership and moved 1000 feet down the road
but still good .

old owner (30 years old ) new business is trying to develop combination "generator , heat supply , pump controller" for the Amish ....

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
National RV will sell one used parts and ship them to you, they seem to have any fridge part one might need. Good price too, have used them twice, good results both times.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Both of our 28 footers have had only 1 unit and we live and camp in Florida a lot. It won't get you down in the 60s when it's 90+ outside, but we've always been comfortable. Another thing is many state parks only have 30 amp service and I don't know if 30 amp or a medium genny would run 2 units.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An air conditioner/furnace in the back is noisy while sleeping, if your bedroom is in the back. The same unit in the front may be annoying while occupying the front.
I have both front and back and use the one where I am not at.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I stayed at the Shipshewana North Park Amish Log Cabin and Campground. The National RV refrigeration repair was a mile away.
The address is:
5970 North State Road 5
Shipshewana, Indiana 46565
I suggest an appointment. The phone number I have is- 260-768-7059 to get an appointment.
If they have moved as Jack states, these numbers and address may be out of date.
If a member finds this incorrect or out of date, please post the new information for every member to see here.