Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Broken Axel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Broken Axel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted
Does anyone know of a repair facility in the Cape Coral, Ft.Meyers area in Florida that could rebuild the rear end in my 1982 35' Regency. I got it stuck and snapped an axle trying to get it free. I have removed the rear end already.
Thanks
ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
You must start by calling Les Hoagland at Motorhome Restoration in Lincoln, IL 217-735-1536 He will help you take it from there.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave.

I called and left a message for Les to call me

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Dave:

Once again you and Les saved the day. Parts will be here Tuesday.

Thanks

ED.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Cape Coral FL I had some work done at Florida Spring & Axle 2335 Rockfill Rd. Ft. Myers (near Flea Masters). They work on all BIG trucks & RVs 1-800-284-4228 or (239)332-7184
Best of luck..........carl

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deb&Eds35:
...snapped an axle trying to get it free. I have removed the rear end already.
I wished you would have mentioned this earlier. Being a road service mechanic I have had to employ many of different devices to make short work out of some rather long book time jobs. Contrary to conventional thinking there are shortcuts that actually do "save time and money" instead of just beating book time.

When we do road service for a truck that does not move we always pull the axle shafts to see if it's a blown rear or just a snapped axle. I have found the best way to remove a snapped axle is with a piece of exhaust pipe going into one side of the axle tube and a long bar going into the other side.

While this takes two people to do it does save a lot of time and expense. In the trucking industry it's all about how quickly you can properly diagnose and repair a truck. You don't leave a truck stranded on the side of the road for days while a part is being made up or shipped to you and they wont let you drop a rear end on the side of the hi-way.

You place the largest piece of exhaust tube into the axle housing on the side that is broken and you take a long solid bar on the other side and push what's left of your axle into the exhaust tube. Then you just pull out the exhaust tube and your ready to install a new axle.

Every time I have had to do this all of the old axle shaft came out. Now I'll grant you that there might have been some splinters that fell off I did put every axle back together again and as far as I could tell all of the axle was removed from the housing as the axle went back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Hopefully this tip might help someone else out in the future.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
To Bill's tip I would add that a magnet on a stick can find any debris or swarf. A loop of wire on a rod can also snag a broken off axle stub and then be twisted to pull it out. I've broken a few 4wd axles. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
When we talk about 1973 Chevy Barths still running strong that is a positive for Barth great bones... But the negative is that these 1982-1995 MCC chassis will be around for ever and Les Hauglands grand son will be fabricating pars.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Carl:

Thanks for the tip about Florida spring. The parts arrived today and they will install the new output shaft,bearings and seals for me.

Thanks again to ALL. for your imput and help.
Should be back on the road again soon.

ED.