Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Turd Fairy strikes again
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Turd Fairy strikes again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
That's a very good write up , great info Salute

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Although I am going to replace the Plugs and Plug wires, I am getting to the point of being convinced I did damage to the HEI. I thought it was the carburetor, however the hot rod shop says it is in good shape. So a new distributor is on order. Thanks all for the input, will go to Michigan City Next week for the repair. Might also pull the valve covers and look for bent push rods. If I can't fix it I guess it will be parted out.

My list of replaced parts is large and the hours of time I have put into nose might be lost.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Compression check would be gold standard for internal engine condition. If ok proceed with other. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Compression check would be gold standard for internal engine condition. If ok proceed with other. Mechanic

The last time I did a compression test all cylinders were between 125 and 130 psi, I am afraid to do it now. ROTFLMAO However I will....because Nose is 180 miles away I have already bought the parts..but they were not bank breaking.

Steve Hop in the VW Van come on down to Michigan City, I will buy you dinner!! There is a restaurant called the Swinging Pig, will remind you of the GTG!! cheers

Funny I was the first to engage the TURD FAIRY and it seems I might be the last to get fixed, well Maybe Lulamay might win that one.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that trip! Thumbs Up

I wish I had another 454 for you. I gave my last one to Mary Ray! hmm

I might know where there is another 454 but you would have to meet the "seller" at night at a remote undisclosed location... Cash only, no bill of sale, no serial numbers, no questions... It will be in a crate marked "scrap metal, not for sale" confusion

Let me know! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I saw the thread showing what you went trough to change the engine in your Regal, I do not have the energy or the strength to build the frame, runway or a lift truck to get it out the door of Nose and put another one back. Dem Days are way behind my abilities!!

I do like the intrigue in your 454 scrap metal box though. Hide Nose is only 25 foot long a 350 fuel injected, resent vintage, probably has more HP. Would it bolt to the TH400 transmission? No ain't gonna do that either!!! Deadhorse

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Recent 350 would bolt right up. Your 454 is probably rated about 230 hp. Easy to beat that. 300+ hp no problem in a 350. Much lighter too. Do it, man. ROTFLMAO

Still thinking on those belt issues...

Good luck with the old Nose! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still thinking on those belt issues...

I did come across a serpentine conversion kit with an idler arm for $235, if all works out I might consider that as a fix. It is for the water pump and alternator only, and will probably make the power steering pump belt difficult to change.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Have you considered an engine swap to a v8 Ford or GM Diesel? Way more power and mileage features.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
You could go all out and put a Cummins in it Big Grin

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
A Barth FRED. I think there are a few of those out there.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Wow, Diesel??

First I have to determine if the 454 is a done dog!

I do not think an engine swap is in my future if the 454 can not be readily repaired. Old Nose will probably be sold as scrap and parted out!!

Really a shame, body and frame are in excellent shape and the interior is ok, for its age.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I just reread SteveVWs' 454 engine swap, I was thinking a junkyard 350 engine, with good compression and a factory fuel injection system, ECM and computer if required. Again ain't gonna happen!!

My neighbor just cracked up his GM Sonoma, pretty sure it has a 350, the insurance company will surely total it, maybe he can buy it back and I will buy the engine from him and he can have the old 454 to junk....No way I am having delusions again!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Little thread drift, but how did your fireworks from the boat go last evening Steve? Still have all your fingers and the Sheriff did not put you in the Klink!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well if my new distributor shows up, I will be off to Indiana to see if Nose will be saved next week.

I did have a nightmare last night, that the timing chain got stretched during the over heat incident. Not an expensive repair but a lot of work. What is the best way to confirm the chain is good?

Plug and plug wires, replace distributor, reinstall Carburetor, compression test, timing chain check. Drive it back to Iowa. Sounds like a good days work.

Thanks

P30 chassis
350 engine