Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Turd Fairy strikes again
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Turd Fairy strikes again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Had a great time at Rusty's Memorial, Thanks to Y'all!

Now on the way home, Went to Dana's to get the trailer and generator he found for me! Thanks for all your help Dana!

Yesterday on the way West, everything was going great but late in the afternoon I noticed a couple of surges in power. then near Rapid City going up the grade, boost went down, lost power and speed. Nursed up to the top but got really slow with many surges of boost and then no Boost.

It is not the turbo, if it were, it would smoke but no smoke. I can hold 60 MPH as long as I am on a relatively flat road. As soon as I call for more power, the boost drops, If I release the throttle for second or two and reapply boost will come back but may or may not stay long.

Possible causes--Bad fuel, water in fuel, fuel filters clogging up, lift pump failing or the main injection pump UGH! Being close to the middle of nowhere, I will have to nurse this thing to either Cheyenne or Casper, to get near a Cummins service center, and of course being Sunday hmmmm!

I can get fuel filters at NAPA BUT, here is where the Turd Fairy has struck. If it is the lift pump, I have a spare BUT, it is home sitting on my messy work bench. had notes to bring it along Oh Well!

If it is the main injection pump, I am in for a EXPENSIVE repair. 303,825 miles on the clock! This is the first area that I have been able to get internet! More later

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the fuel filters will take care of it. At least it is a good starting point . I've had these problems before as well .
Your spot on with your troubleshooting thoughts.
I had the modulator on the wastegate go bad once and would not let the injector pump read boost pressure therefore not allowing the injector pump to give full throttle .
Another common problem is the injector pump overflow valve . There is an aftermarket overflow valve that works much better than oem. I have the part link if interested.

Good Luck and happy motoring.
You probably know everything i know about these Cummins , but if you need any tech support I'll be happy to give you my number and we can bounce ideas back and forth.

KE5WCW currently on 3867.5

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ed, Nose is a gas engine of course, but your symptoms emulate those I have had numerous times, all the time it has been a clogged fuel filter, I hope your problem was that easy!! Good luck, was nice to see you at the Goshen GTG!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmm, this turd fairy thing is making me wonder. hmm

On the way home from Goshen, the Cummins ran hotter than usual, hotter than it should for the air temp and load...
After a while the temp dropped over 20 degrees and stayed there.

I recently replaced all coolant hoses and both thermostats. I have a side mounted radiator and it depends on a fan to bring air in the side. On the older models like mine, the fan is hydraulic and shares the hydraulic engine pump output with the power steering system. All mechanical, with regulator valves, etc. There is a filter inside the reservoir as well.

I suspect the fan is running too slowly. I will service the system and inspect the pressure proportioning valve that controls the flow to the fan. hmm

I will start a thread to share more info...
Here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...353938297#9353938297

Gotta keep them fluids flowing! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
The turd fairy tried to dump on our return trip but some Barth Angel/s intervened and saved our bacon.

First - We got lost (a.k.a. unintentional sight seeing tour) At the time it was an error that really seemed like a total "PITA" but it turned out to be a very very good thing. Our tour added about 50+ miles and about an hour to our trip.

Second - We caught up with Dana and Lynn at a rest area on I-80 just west of Chicago. They had left the fairgrounds about an hour after us. Another opportunity to say goodbye again to friends thanks to our unplanned tour.

Third - We caught up with Ed at a rest area on I-90 near Beloit as he was getting ready to leave. He had left the fairgrounds an hour before us and had been at the rest area for a couple of hours. Another opportunity to say goodbye again to a friend thanks to our unplanned tour.

Fourth - This is where the turd fairy steps in. We tried to start Tonka to leave the rest area just after Ed pulled out. Turned the key and total silence, absolutely nothing! Checked the Intellitec chassis light, it was still lit but as I looked at it the switch stopped responding and the light went out and the steps would not extend.

I climbed down and checked the chassis batteries. Even I could see the problem. The battery cable lug that attaches to the positive battery terminal stud had just broken off.

Fifth - Called Coach Net and about 3 hours later and after installing a new temporary 4' battery cable we were back on the road and Tonka was running as strong as ever.

My rational side knows it was coincidence and dumb luck but I'd much rather think it could have been a Barth Angel intervention.

The battery cable lug literally broke in a rest area after 22 years of corroding and 48,000 miles of bouncing, flexing and fatiguing. What are the odds of that happening while parked in a rest area, not out in the middle of nowhere or in some construction zone with no shoulder.

Good grief and total amazement! In a rest area that was easy to find and access along a major Interstate and near parts suppliers.

If we hadn't gotten lost in the morning, it is so likely we would have been stranded unsafely for hours along the side of the road instead of safely for a few hours in a rest area.

Thank you Barth Angel/s! Tooling Along
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Wally, it is good all is well with you. I am glad you have a Barth angel!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see Wally and tickled to see him. I told him to not let Connie take lessons from Lynn for navigating. Good Outcome though.

Okay with the turd fairy stories being shared I guess it is my turn. I should have been more listening when I was told you need to secure the Zip-Dee awning. The hook lock was broken when we got it. I like the Dometic. You can get parts everywhere.

Zip-Dee is so proprietary you can't get almost anything without going through them.

Sorry did I get on a soap box. Showed my prejudice for a certain brand.

Now Turd Fairy.... You probably know what happened already. The awning unfurled in the 30 mph crosswind following the cold front. Tried to make Midnight into a Sailship beating the arms against the side. No major damage except the awning itself. No seam is sewn shut anymore. Broke the end off one of the rafters.

Try winding up a broken awning when the wind is still whipping. Lynn claimed flight multiple times during the exercise trying to hold it under control. I crawled on the roof because I couldn't safely stand. Rope and bungied it together to safely travel home.

Missed out on a Dometic to replace it for $100. Got beat to it. It was even Dark Blue. New looking at $1200+ The search continues.

Here is the Turd Fairy list and progress to deturd in no particular order.
Steve work in progress Hydraulic fan?
Ed fuel filters replaced and back on the road home.
Richard alternator out running a charger and 200 miles to his mechanic.
Wally cable fixed
Me home and safe. Looking for awning!!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the Turd Fairy list and progress to deturd in no particular order.Steve work in progress Hydraulic fan?Ed fuel filters replaced and back on the road home.Richard alternator out running a charger and 200 miles to his mechanic.Wally cable fixedMe home and safe. Looking for awning!!

Dana you forgot the first attack of the Fairy, Nose is still in Michigan City awaiting parts!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
OK so here is my version.

Last toll booth leaving IL. Paid the toll and started to accelerate and puff the engine quits. Pulled to the side and planned to reprime the engine. Did so, got back inside and engine will not turn over. Finnaly looked at my gauges and no voltage. Big "0" on the engine guage. Went back to check engine batteries and holly "S". One of the group 31 was toast. Turns out the positive cable was showing a dead short. So after about 3 hours of looking and getting ready to call a tow truck, I crawl under to take another look at the starting relay and saw a connection the had 4 large wires on it. After using Marleen to help to check arcing found the circuit the short in it. Hooked the good three back up. Moved the 4th out of the way. Now I had voltage, fired up the engine and on our way. Only now I have no alternator. But I know what circuit to troubleshoot.

I lucked out by not having a tight connection between two batteries or would have cooked both of them.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
David, Amy and I had a nice trip home, no problems.

Enjoyed the visit with everyone, been a long time since getting to visit with some of you and looking forward to Tom Sawyer in September.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my, lots of turd’s hard at work! When on my way home from Goshen, my drivers front tire started a wobble and was burning rubber. My front brakes and calipers shot and front tires dry and retreads so I replaced. Driving to get fixed I could not go past second gear..? Tran fluid was good and I just did the tune up. Replaced filters, I think transmison may need replacing .
I don’t know about what’s going to happen with the 77 .
Can the body be fixed the way it was? Are any parts available?
I don’t know. I was on my way to replace fixed gas tank when I broke down. Then a 60 mph Smack drivers side bumper down the side. Ugh. So sad , I need advice on ? Who could fix?
I’m glad with all flying turds we are all well, blessed with no harm!

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-21-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
What a mess. So sorry the 77 got whacked. Doesn't sound good.

Hopefully the brakes and tires are good on the 85. As for the trans, be sure to check the vacuum modulator and the hose to it. The modulator is located on the pass side of the trans, just above the pan. It is screwed into the side of the trans. There is a rubber vacuum line attached to it. Be sure that hose is connected there and up to the engine near the carb. If not, the trans will not go into 3rd gear.

Good luck with your coaches. take care

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve to the rescue again(hopefully) Superman

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ,I told my mechanic He looked at me very insulted and said I already ruled that out I’m a tranny man! So that was that We shall see.
The 77 ... Scared of adjuster.

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-21-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lulamay:
Thanks ,I told my mechanic He looked at me very insulted and said I already ruled that out I’m a tranny man! So that was that We shall see.
The 77 ... Scared of adjuster.

Transmission man?? Big Grin

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post