Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air bags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air bags
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Now that I know it's a breakaway Spartan ce2000 with leaf springs and air breaks and a allison 542 trans does any know can I put air bags on this coach I was going to call Spartan to see but if any one knows any ce2000 ever had from factory

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
I installed airbags, maybe 4-5 years ago, at the rear on my Breakaway 30’ (Spartan chassis)because of a rear motorcycle rack (BMWr1100RT) : at that time installation kit was discontinued (Firestone Ride Rite 2074 or 2102) the airbags were available but not the brackets which I had to make myself. I have all the information somewhere on my old computer, if needed I can retrieve that info. Not a too complicated job for a very average amateur like me.

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Micha, are you referring to air assist or full air suspension.

I think Evan is talking about full air suspension and getting rid of the leaf springs.

There is least one 30' Spartan chassis that I know of that had rear air suspension (I think Mogan David owned it for awhile), but it was an after market set. It is no longer available AFAIK. There are drawings that show air suspension from Spartan but I checked a few years ago they have no support for this set up. I gave up looking after I found some aftermarket sets thru salvage dealers but way to pricey.

Rear end and front axle also play a part on what was available.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
Evan, in another post, was inquiring about adding air bags, so no, not really air suspension but air assist. Any Breakaway-Spartan with real air suspension ?
I have to say that I am satisfied with my installation (sold the bike a few years ago) ; now with no additional weight at the back, ride is very good but never had to complain about my Breakaway ride before. Would I have added air bags without the necessity to correct rear ‘’overweight’’, probably not.

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did some checking today you can't put air bags in the front with the Dana front axel and the Sparton frame but I saw a 1991 breakaway 32ft with air bag assist it must have been after market but thanks for the help

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 94 Breakaway has air assist with leaf springs on the rear BUT, I have the Eaton 15040S rear end that is MUCH bigger than the Dana 80 found on most 30' Breakaway. I also have a Westport front axle. These two axles are usually found on 32' and longer Spartan chassis.

The air bag assist is an aftermarket installation and is a REAL cobble job. They are mounted ahead of the axle, absolutely the wrong place, but the shocks are behind the axle so no proper place for the bags.

I have installed spacers between the spring perch ends and the frame to raise the rear 1 1/2 inches and one day will pull off the air assist. I only keep about 10-15 lbs in the bags now just to keep them from collapsing.

One day maybe I will attempt a full air suspension system but for now too many projects ahead of this one.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 93 breakaway with Graining full air suspension (no springs) and Ross steering gear. Not sure that it is spartan installed but it does appear to be original. have original drawings with part numbers. Major drawbacks are common to all air suspension and accented by the polar inertia. Tends to porpoise, wallow, and still has bad behavior when crossing RR tracks at an angle. Double shocked it all around and tamed it down somewhat. Does ride well and handles the curves well when run at slightly lower height. Has been trouble free, but sure would not spend the money to change from springs.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John, I knew there was at least one Breakaway with full air suspension. If I remember right yours was a Spartan installation but all parts and pieces were made by Reyco Ganning that specializes in after market suspension systems. They didn't seem to interested to talk with me.

I understand all about the crazy handling that can be caused by air suspension. I have had a number of vehicles with air suspension. Gillig seems to have a handle on doing it correctly.

If you wouldn't mind, could I stop by some time and take a look at yours? I go thru AZ a lot.

Thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
You are welcome to look at it. Am located about 4 miles on graded road off 93 or about 8 miles off 68 with the last mile graded phone is 970 640 4804 johnpcanning at yahoo And yes it is granning. (and yes no one is forthcoming with info and apparently the company has changed hands and changed names at least once) and seems to be well done. Except for lack of thought to handling but is more derivable than my old GMC 4515. Am willing to live with it rather than undertake installing sway bars. And that would be a job after design and locating reasonable (preferably used components) plus the usual sorting out process.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post