Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Quadra-jet
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Quadra-jet
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I found a 1940's starter switch chrome button style, should be perfect as a bi-pass to the fuel pump. Now I just need the weather to break some day. I could install it either on the dash its pretty or the floor.

Might be March before I get back to this project, we are not supposed to get above freezing until the 2nd week of March...we have 3 foot of snow and more expected...

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I went up to the Nose yesterday, it was about 28F but a day before it had been down to -35F, I had not started the Nose in two weeks, it ground for like 30 seconds total with maybe 2 or 3 turns of the key, started but died once, then started and with a bit of fluttering of the throttle stayed running. That is better than it has ever done after sitting for that long and that is the coldest it has been since I have had it.
So if the snow ever melts, the air warms a bit I can install the oil pressure fuel pump shut off and the override momentary switch, set the timing and be off and running.

I also stared the generator, that was a bit of a struggle, but finally took off. Oh for spring in the Midwest!!! I do believe that stupid groundhog was wrong and we are in for an extended winter.

There seems to be a raccoon interested in Nose, foot prints in the snow all around it, it has not chewed a way in yet. It got into my storage building and my bass boat a year ago, chewed its way into the attic and fell through the drywall ceiling, I opened the garage door and it escaped, I should have captured it and taken it to the country.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
We had a semi melt a few days ago, then a hard freeze, about 3 inches of ice formed from the melt on top of about 2 foot of snow. got up next to my storage building, now I can not get to the nose as the fence gates and the door for the storage building are surrounded in ice. today another 6 inches of snow so far, more today and later in the week. Probably late march or April before I can finish the fuel pump and timing.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Daytona 500 day and we get 6 inches of new snow!!! I ordered new tires for the rear of Nose, supposed to be here tomorrow not sure I even can get then in my storage building with all this snow.

I was able to get into the Nose, we had a one day thaw and I was able to get the back door of the storage building open.

Coldest and snowiest winter we have had in the last 20 years.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sorry

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Although it was only like 7F I got into the Nose today and installed a fuel pressure gauge. I have both an electric and engine driven fuel pump. I checked the electric fuel pump first, it gave me 3 PSI @ the carburetor, I then started the engine and the initial pressure reading went up to 9 PSI. After the engine warmed the pressure did drop to 6 PSI. I was thinking initially the manual diaphragm was cold and flex was limited until the engine heat warmed a bit.

As a side note heating the cabin was a bit interesting. The Nose has a 30,000 BTU propane furnace, running at full blast it brought it from the 7F outside temperature to about 60F inside. I also ran an electric heater of 1500 watts both running together kept the inside at a comfortable 70F. The insulation must be awful in the ole Nose, even though there is a lot of window area and all of them are single pane. I was in it for about 3 hours.

Perhaps by the end of the month we may have some decent weather and I can finish the oil pressure activated fuel pump switch and clean up my haphazard wiring. Set the timing and see if all this work improves my fuel mileage. Speaking of fuel, gas has gone up about a half buck a gallon here in the last week or so $2.50 now,,,

My new rear tires need to be installed also.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok. final update, New tires installed, electric fuel pump tied into the oil pressure, Bi-pass momentary switch installed. Almost forgot the new LED Headlights. Found a nice couch for the front of Nose, black leather (aka vinyl) got it almost installed. Carburetor is working fine. Fuel pressure is 3 LBS at the carburetor with the electric pump and 6 LBS when the engine is running. Need to set the timing and all will be well in Nose-land. Install a new fridge in Minnesnowta in June. Then comes the roof this summer, maybe wood or laminate floors and pretty-up the inside ceiling. It has been a long struggle through the winter. I also want to do MT Rushmore this summer.

P30 chassis
350 engine