Barthmobile Portal
possessed windshield wipers

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/665109271

10-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Richard_Muise
possessed windshield wipers
My wipers don't return to the park position when I turn them off. I have to 'time' the shut off to get them in the right position. Can they be adjusted or do I go shopping for new motors?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
garryp
Richard, that function is built into the motors by an internal switch, I think. As is the switch that keeps them synchronized. (Ever note that one slightly faster wiper will wait for the slower one before the next cycle starts?)

The motors are available at a reasonable price. I replaced one of mine years ago when the bearings died. Except for access to the rear, it is not a hard job. Unfortunately I do not remember the source. Get the number(s) of the motor housing and search the web.

You cannot get your head into the compartment to read anything. I solved this problem by using my digital camera and taking a pic of the backside. A few tries and you should get a readable pic.

Search "all forums" for "wiper"
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
olroy
My OEM wipers were individually & manually switched, & were not synchronized. I suspect they were designed that way, & I bet a lot of other Barths have them, too.
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
carlflack
Richard:
Pull up Mill Supply , Inc......I 800 888 5072...They can solve just about any wiper problem ..............

www.millsupply.com

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Rusty
quote:
My wipers don't return to the park position when I turn them off. I have to 'time' the shut off to get them in the right position. Can they be adjusted or do I go shopping for new motors?

Are your wipers air or electric? If the latter, the park sector of the switch is in the gearbox, which unfortunately appears (on mine) to be riveted, but it would be worth a try to pull the cover and see if the park sector of the contacts is crudded up. If you need new motors, they're here. and here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Richard_Muise
Hey Rusty,

Where is the gearbox? BTW, I pointed out Casiopia to a seventh grade class the last time we camped.

Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Rusty
If you're at a dark sky, Casseopea is close to the Andromeda Galaxy. Use the three upper stars in Cas as an arrowhead which will point to Alpherataz, a fairly bright star a couple of fist widths to the east (and part of the Great Square of Pegasus). Just below and about midway along that line is M31, the Andromeda Galaxy, 2,000,000 light years away, the farthest away object visible to the naked eye.

You'll have to pull the wiper motor to get at it. Once pulled, you'll see the gearbox attached to the end of the motor. Three bolts hold the motor onto the bracket.

I'll be posting photos of the step-by-step procedure to remove a wiper motor later this week or early next.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields