Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof vent
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof vent
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
I set up the Barth in the driveway for thge 4th and used the area under the awning to serve food during the RAIN. I had it plugged into the house so aI had the air on so people could sit in it for addition table space. I seem to have a large fan in the roof that is very quiet and turns on on the unit. This is in addition to AC and 2 clear crank open vents with small loud fans. It is very nice with the windows open as it draws in lots of air when it is not RAINING. Is this a standard type of roof unit for a Barth? JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a discussion of such recently on this site. Yes most had such as I recall, but then again, I COULD BE WRONG.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Does it have a louvered metal grille on the ceiling?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You probably have a Kool-o-Matic fan which is the best thing since sliced bread. http://www.kool-o-matic.com/rv.htm

It may also be a Fantastic Vent Fan which is also a great fan and about 1/2 the price of a Kool-O-Matic.

Kool-O-Matic is on my poop list because their replacement parts are so very expensive. But they are all metal and not light weight plastic.

I have both in my coach. The Kool sucks way more air than the Fantastic but uses more juice if you are a boondocker like Bill H.

We find that if it is, let's say, 80-85 deg it is as pleasant to turn the Kool-O-Matic on and open the windows let's say 3 inches or so. You'll get a very nice breeze.

You also might want to invest in a couple Window/Maxx covers. then if it is raining you can still open your windows and turn on the fan.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/Window-Maxx.aspx

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
The Kool sucks way more air than the Fantastic but uses more juice if you are a boondocker like Bill H.

I have a TurboMaXX in one vent and the OEM Kool A Matic in the other, and I would not say the KM sucks way more air. No precision measurement, though, just a ribbon hanging in the open window.

KM are also on my poop list, but for other reasons. The levers that adjust the louvers break off, they are noisy(even sometimes rattling), they let in no light, but let out lots of warm air in the winter, and eat electricity. I am not so sure they move all that much air, either.

I replaced the one in the kitchen with a TurboMaxx, and we love it. It has a thermostat so the animals don't get hot and wife loves the skylight effect. With all that dark cherrywood, the Barth needs a lot of light. And it either sucks or blows, unlike the KM.

I have purchased a Fantastic fan with a thermostat to replace the living room KM. The TM sticks too far aft to use in that position to clear the air conditioner. Mama is anxious for the living room skylight.

I believe I will install one of the left over KMs in the bathroom to replace that silly rattly buzzer Barth put in. With a reverse switch, of course. Then I can generate positive air pressure in the john.

Ain't no stink gonna come up from my tank, NO siree. Only problem is the bathroom door has a hole for the cat. Have to engineer a spring that will hold air pressure but let the cat in and out. Perhaps a male-male cord from the fan interlock relay to the cat hole flap actuator override asymmetry detector.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bill h., Its no dig beal, just get a can of compression to open the cat door, and too you will have it on hand should one of the cylinders in the main engine starts leaking. Don't you think?

Dale

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited July 05, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Roof fans were mentioned in another thread, and I thought I would post here, since the title invites it.

RV Roof Fans…… ….Fantastic and TurboMaXX Compared

Our coach has one of each. They each have their own pluses and minuses. Both are a jillion times better than the OEM Kool A Matic in every way. We replaced the KMs because of their energy consumption, noise, winter heat loss and lack of thermostats. We need the thermostats to prevent overheating the animals.

NOISE in DBA @ 12” FF Turbo/MaXX

Low 62 Under 50.

Med 66 63-64

High 68 68

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amp Draw FF Turbo/MaXX

Low 1.86 1.4

Med 2.29 2.45

High 3.0 4.0

As a reference, each Kool a Matic drew 4.1, 6.7 and 9.0 amps on low, med and high, respectively.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airflow CFM FF Turbo/MaXX

Low 478 500

Med 653 680

High 920 982

FANTASTIC:

+ Takes up less real estate on the roof.

+ Lets in more light, especially with a clear lid.

+ Screen easier to remove for cleaning and dead bug removal.

+ Optional pop out screen available.

+ Superb customer service

+ Free parts replacement.

+ Cleaner roof appearance. Looks just like a regular vent.

+ Cleaner inside appearance, as controls are built in to trim surround instead of an add-on wart that sticks down for tall people to bump.

+ Dome is guaranteed for life, as opposed to two years on TM.

+ Insulated double-pane dome available.

+ Dome can be changed from clear to tinted for summer or winter.

+ All work can be done easily w/o climbing on roof, except dome replacement.

+ Motor and connections protected inside the RV when lid is closed.

+ Durability---so far so good.

- More difficult installation, involving cutting and drilling roof.

- Must be closed in rain to be really sure of no incoming rain. Optional auto rain closer not always reliable.

-..Noisier by 2-3 dbA at 1 ft on med

- Noisier by over 12 dbA on low. (My meter would not even measure the TurboMaXX on low, even at 3 ft). Noise same as TM on high.

TURBOMAXX

+ Easier to install. No roof penetration or sealing necessary.

+ Quieter by 2-3 dbA @1 ft on Medium

+ Quieter by over 12 dbA @ 1ft on Low speed. (too quiet for meter)

+ Slightly higher flow, if both manufacturer figures are accurate.

+ Lower current draw on low.

+ Positively blocks rain.

- Durability…my motor squeaks. Company says “Motor bearings etc. are sealed and require no lubrication.”

- Slightly higher current draw on Med and High

- Hood takes up more space behind the vent.

- Does not let in nearly as much light. At best, the light is blocked by a smoke vent lid and the white TM dome.

- Clear or smoke hood not available.

- Clear lid not available for the standard RV vents that must be used with TM.

- Clunky, bulky appearance on roof.

- Clunky bulky pod attaches to existing vent, sticking down a couple of inches. Can be a little difficult to mount.

- Screen not easily removable for cleaning. Control pod must be removed before screen.

- Fan and motor maintenance must be done on roof.

- Motor and connections exposed to humidity 24/7

- No quick removal screen available.

- Dome warranted two years to original purchaser who can find receipt, as opposed to FF lifetime, no questions asked..

- Spotty customer service. E Mails not answered. Messages to voicemail not answered. This may or may not have been a one-time situation. Finally got through, and new motor was sent free, even though fan was out of warranty.

You will notice more pluses than minuses for Fantastic.

What I like most about our TurboMaxx is its quietness and efficiency on low speed..

What I like most about our Fantastic is about everything else, especially their service.

The location of the fan could also be a factor in how you consider noise. It was mandatory to use a FF in our living room due to roof space availability, and the noise on low is bothersome. YMMV If you play the TV loud or are near a loud generator, this will not be a factor. If I had put a TM up there, I would be modifying both the lid and the cover to be clear to get the full skylight effect.

My personal advice would be to weigh the importance of the TM’s quietness and efficiency on low. If you RV in rain a lot, the ability to operate the TM in the rain would be a big factor.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a standard type of roof unit for a Barth

Picture would be worth a thousand words.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post