Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    GPS WHATS THE BEST?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

GPS WHATS THE BEST?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
or does anybody use them?

or ever drive out of their comfort zone?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My GPS is a Garmin Street Pilot that is no longer made. Based on my experience with this unit, the next ones I buy for the Biz will be from the same company. Thumbs Up

I still haven't decided on the new model yet.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Don't know "the best", but based on their avionics reputation, I went with Garmin. Their 265WT seemed to be their middle-line....been using it 3 years and have had no problems.....very intuitive, hasn't
sent me off in the wrong direction yet.......I still use Micro S&T on the laptop when I need to see
details better.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
I had never had a gps before and lost my bb/phone on Christmas eve. I replaced it with a Droid, which is a Google based device with gps free (and many other apps.) If, like me, you are 'in the market', I would recommend considering it; I've been very pleased.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
There is an online magazine which reviews the different models. I like my Garmin. There is a Garmin designed for trucks which has a big screen and rear view camera capability.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Another Garmin fan.

I am not current, as my Garmin dates back to the '90s, but the Navy SEALs used both and selected Garmin. My oldest, who researches everything to death, recently bought another Garmin.

My main usage is off-road trails, and none of the map programs seem as good as the gummint paper maps. I use the GPS as a Fugawe in concert with the lat/lon on the margins. And a good compass.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Garmin.

GPS is one more gadget I no longer have time to learn, & never needed before they came into vogue. However, some of my progeny who never took map reading, or are too lazy to look at one, use them. My youngest, who could shake hands with El Segundo Bill's oldest on the subject of researching everything to death, swears by Garmin. A niece who uses a Brand X GPS, recently moved here from the East Coast, & can't find our house with hers. I advised her to go to Mapquest & print out a map. She followed the little purple line right into our driveway.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I use DeLorme Street Atlas 2010 in my computer and have a 10 inch display located over the backup TV. I flip it down when backing up so I can use the camera. I like the larger display as I can just glance at it and know my positon.

The only thing I don't like is their "moving map" display sucks. I have asked them many times that if they want to consider mobile use they need to position the cursor at the bottom of the display and keep it there. The way it was, the cursor moved up near the top of the display and then reset below the middle repeatedly as you moved along. It always seemed that I needed further view precisely when the cursor was near the top.

The newer versions are better and keeps the cursor nearer the center but it is still annoying!

I have used this program since 2001 in my SOB I used it in a laptop that I mounted in the middle over the engine doghouse.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I also use DeLorme Street Atlas 2010 (and have used it since SA 2003).

Ed, under the options tab at the top, click, open the GPS tab, and scroll down and make sure the box is checked "Recenter map on GPS". The GPS will stay and the map will move.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
We use a Tom-Tom that we update twice a year on the computer. It tells me where to turn and when turn the wrong way it gets me back in track. Got to love it Tooling Along

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
When talking about the best I can only think of a colleague, single, that now has a constant female companion, Gypsy.

After adding a couple of y's.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have a cheaper Garmin Nuvi and like it but would like to have set-up like Rusty has.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I also use DeLorme Street Atlas 2010 (and have used it since SA 2003).

Ed, under the options tab at the top, click, open the GPS tab, and scroll down and make sure the box is checked "Recenter map on GPS". The GPS will stay and the map will move.

I did that Rusty, but it still is in the center and should be at the bottom. The later versions the cursor doesn't move as much (stays closer to the center) but my main complaint is where the cursor is, it should be nearer the bottom. I want as much forward visibility as possible, so then when I zoom in I get a better idea of what is coming and how soon!.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's also an option to show turns in the lower window, rather than speed and direction.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
https://www.carbibles.com/best-rv-gps/

https://www.amazon.ca/FLOUREON...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://store.randmcnally.com/...e-7-rv-with-gps.html

Combining RV-specific navigation with a full Android tablet, OverDryve™ 7 RV's capabilities are endless. Our award-winning, on-board RV GPS provides customized routing based on your RV type. Stream music, news, podcasts, and more through your RV's sound system or through OverDryve RV's built-in speakers. Connected, voice-enabled features allow you to focus on the drive ahead and arrive safely at your destination. OverDryve™ 7 RV also lets you:

Manage and plan trips with the pre-installed TripMaker app and digital Road Atlas
Record traffic incidents, along with the view, with the built-in dash cam
Download your favorite apps, stream movies, and more
Easily snap the device on and off the powered, magnetic mount
View all these amazing features on a 7-inch, high-resolution screen

$449.99

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post