Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    switch gasoline to LP gas easy with carburated 454?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

switch gasoline to LP gas easy with carburated 454?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gordon Starr
posted
I had heard it was easy to switch back and forth lp gas and gasoline and burn it through your carburetor. Saving you some pretty significant money on fuel while you burn the LP.
Also, it would extend your range. Has anyone tried? Gordon

Posts: 26 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 04-04-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
LPG will NOT extend the range, unless a larger tank is installed. It has much less energy per unit volume than gaso.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Sorry I wasn't making myself clear. I already have a 20 gallon lp tank and a 50 gallon gas tank. I was just going to add a line, any needed equipment and a switch so I could use either one. Probably first the gas, then the lp when I got up on the highway. G.

Posts: 26 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 04-04-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gordon Starr
posted Hide Post
Looks like the low energy per volume with LP also wipes out the cost savings I was hoping for! g.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Starr:
I had heard it was easy to switch back and forth lp gas and gasoline and burn it through your carburetor. Saving you some pretty significant money on fuel while you burn the LP.
Gord I owned three propane vehicles,Presently I have an eighty four one ton Dodge high top ext body van.(318 eng)I wish that they would of been dual fuel.through my experiences,here are the pros and cons.Pros-1-very clean burning-Pro2-spark plugs last almost for ever(different than gas,ask for an ideal dual usage one.-Pro3-oil is dramatically cleaner,reflecting on a cleaner engine.You still have to respect mileage as you cant judge by looks-Pro4-cheaper today propane in B.C is 85cents a litre,regular gas is 135per litre.Canada went metric not to cause a revolution with price increases of 2to4cents per litre which means approx. 15 cents per gallon=public outcry.Cons-1-availability-propane is a full serve commodity,something station owners don't like because attandents in Canada are required by law to be certified.Shell-Esso- Petro-Canada refuse to serve propane,one has to depend on independents.Con-2-Freeze-ups-during a wet environment propane hangs-up;also cooling system has to be right,one day I stalled in traffic,after calling a propane conversion outlet,i was told to check my rad.sure enough it was low,i topped it off,the engine fired up immed.Thats what I mean by hang up!Believe me folks!.Con-3-Price of initial installation.Con-4-You lose approx. 10%power-Gord you are a prime candidate for a dual system I wish I was in your situation.Wally 34ft Monarch Van isle.As usual I forgot something !take a compression test first !!!

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
The Sheriff's Office I worked for tried propane in the patrol cars for about 2-3 years and phased them out.

Yes, cleaner burning, cleaner oil, no fouled plugs, no carbon monixide.

Downside, costly conversation, less power performance, less miles per gallon.
Plus if the tank starts to run low your speed drops way down. Plus if you run out of propane in a remote area, you will need a propane truck or a tow truck.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
The Sheriff's Office I worked for tried propane in the patrol cars for about 2-3 years and phased them out.

Yes, cleaner burning, cleaner oil, no fouled plugs, no carbon monixide.

Downside, costly conversation, less power performance, less miles per gallon.
Plus if the tank starts to run low your speed drops way down. Plus if you run out of propane in a remote area, you will need a propane truck or a tow truck.
this is why I gave the pros and cons.Wally

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
First propane is about 135 octane and will not pre-combust. That is why you can do propane injection on a diesel. It will not ignite until the diesel fuel combusts.

OK that said converting to propane does not a propane engine make.

Back in my youth (50s) Minneapolis Moline make a farm tractor available as gas, diesel, or propane. The propane was the most powerfull and used less fuel than the gas (not sure about diesel). Because of the high octane M-M it had a very high compression ratio.

Anyway if you build a propane engine it will out perform gas. And that is not a gas engine converted to propane.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
First propane is about 135 octane and will not pre-combust. That is why you can do propane injection on a diesel. It will not ignite until the diesel fuel combusts.

Back in my youth (50s) Minneapolis Moline make a farm tractor available as gas, diesel, or propane. The propane was the most powerfull and used less fuel than the gas (not sure about diesel). Because of the high octane M-M it had a very high compression ratio.

Anyway if you build a propane engine it will out perform gas. And that is not a gas engine converted to propane.
Gentlemen,my last two cents worth on propane.Propane is history.Enter liquefied gas.Whole new can of worms.Involves fracking,high pressure tanks,most important avaialabilty.Wally over and out

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
First propane is about 135 octane and will not pre-combust. That is why you can do propane injection on a diesel.

Anyway if you build a propane engine it will out perform gas.

?? 135 ?? Really??
http://www.canadafreepress.com...essories/propane.htm

http://www.energyeducation.tx..../octane_ratings.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
quote:

Gentlemen,my last two cents worth on propane.Propane is history.Enter liquefied -NATURAL- gas.Whole new can of worms.Involves fracking,high pressure tanks,most important avaialabilty.Wally over and out

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Starr:
wally34ft monarch van isle.Today fuel prices locally is-reg144per litre-diesel34per litre-propane82cents per litre not a very hard choice to make.Considering ferry prices we don't get man vistors.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
LNG--Frick and Frack--we never seem to be without ways to screw the planet up.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post