Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Starting problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starting problem
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1984 35'Regal, it was running great. The next day it was totally dead. Checked starter it is OK. Any suggestions what could be wrong.

Posts: 4 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Member Since: 09-26-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the neutral start switch is OK(has continuity). Make sure the shifter lever is in park or neutral when trying to start.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kay-Dallas, Texas:
I have a 1984 35'Regal, it was running great. The next day it was totally dead. Checked starter it is OK. Any suggestions what could be wrong.

The circuit involves the ignition/start switch, neutral safety switch as Eddie mentioned, an aux solenoid and the solenoid on the starter.

All should be tested for power in and out. I use a test light with alligator leads on it.

The easiest to access is the aux relay on the right side of the engine compartment. It is also more or less in the middle of the circuit, so is a convenient place to start.

In neutral, you should hear or feel it clunk when the start switch is activated. If not, check if power comes in to one of the small terminals when the start switch is activated. If it clunks, check that power comes out one of the large terminals. One will be hot all the time and the other hot only on start. If no power comes in to the small terminal on start, look at the neutral start or start switch. If power comes out of the big terminal on start, look at the solenoid on the starter. Power should come in to the small terminal on start, and out the large terminal that is connected to the starter.

The neutral safety switch often just needs a disassembly and a little clean up.

The contacts inside the solenoid on the starter often can be cleaned and dressed with fine file. Often, the disc can be turned over to expose fresh, unpitted metal. The other contacts can be replaced, but they are often hard to find.

The aux solenoid on the right side of the engine compartment cannot be disassembled easily, so is a throw away item.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Since moving to Florida long ago I found out about "Hot weather battery syndrome", which means a battery can be fine one minute, and so dead the next that no amount of jumping or charging will get the motor to turn over. If you have another battery that you know is good replacing the one in the coach with it and trying that might be a place to start.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Danny brings up a good point. The battery can be tested by reading the voltmeter when start is attempted or observing headlight dimming. Also, give the horn a toot when trying to crank. If it is weak, the battery could be weak.

Of course, P30s have pretty weak horns, anyway. Mine doesn't honk, it just bleats.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check all the places the ground straps attach. one from the chassis to the engine block, and one from the battery to the chassis, at a minimum. If any are corroded badly you will have power to the coach, but the starter may not even click.

1985 Barth Regal 28 footer
P30 Chevy chassis
454 big block

Posts: 17 | Location: Southeast Wisconsin | Member Since: 09-19-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I had my coach give me a 'no start' issue while on the road last year, the rubber grommet that the shift lever locks into disintegrated and the transmission would not detente into park. My temp fix was with some bailing wire, and replacement part was in stock at the local Ford dealer.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
Glad to see your getting your coach running Kay. I think you will have a lot better luck selling it with less unknowns. Its just real scary for anyone to buy a coach from more than a few miles away not knowing what kind of problems they are facing.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning...Thank you for you suggestion. It has one new starting battery but the house batteries are old, they test OK but maybe that could be the problem. It is confusing since it was running great and then all of a sudden NO NOISE, nothing..just totally dead.Seems like it is not getting any power to the key.

Posts: 4 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Member Since: 09-26-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for your suggestions. There are 3 very good mechanics working on this and they all seem to be stumped..will keep looking for answer. Seems to not be getting any power to key. The problem seems to be between the solenoid in the front compartment and the key.

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
if you have possible problems with the house batteries, disconnect the negative terminal from them. Better no house battery than one with possibly a dead cell.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kay-Dallas, Texas:
Seems to not be getting any power to key.

What does a hot light tell you?