Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regal Air Bags
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regal Air Bags
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted
I need to replace the front air bags in my 28' 88 Regal. I've found a couple different manufactures and wanted to see what pros and cons there might be to either the Firestone or Air Lift sets. Is one better than the other? Is there a better set out there that I should consider?
Thanks,
Tom

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have used used Air Lift since forever on a bunch of vehicles. Good warranties. They even replaced a rear bag that failed due to axle wrap. They have been pretty good about selling me small parts, too. Always a good experience.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. That's the kind of info I was hoping to get. I'll go with the Air Lift.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I got my Air Lifts through Summit racing. Good price, quick delivery, and they sent a bunch of goodies like a hat, stickers and catalogue. I think they were about 60 bucks. Raise the front end as much as possible to streatch out the coil springs. You'll want to smear a bunch of lube [Vaseline or something] on them to get them through the gap in the spring. Make sure the end caps are properly placed. That's what caused my failure.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks Danny. I'll see what Summit wants for them now. I found the Firestone set at a local RV dealer but they want $128. Even if Summit has gone up they should still be less than the others.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Raise the front end as much as possible to stretch out the coil springs.

Removing the rubber rebound bumpers and disconnecting the shocks might let the suspension open up a little more, too. Do it on a warm sunny day so the bags can get soft.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I think it might be a while before I can tackle them. It's still pretty chilly here. Even though it was sunny yesterday it was only in the mid 50's and the bags were pretty stiff. It didn't feel like they would be easy to get out.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I think it might be a while before I can tackle them. It's still pretty chilly here. Even though it was sunny yesterday it was only in the mid 50's and the bags were pretty stiff. It didn't feel like they would be easy to get out.

Taking out is not a bid deal. I usually use a Vise Grips and a serrated knife. Or a heat gun or even a propane torch.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if a spring spreader would help. Autozone or Kragen might loan you one.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
My favorite technique (so far...would luv to hear others Confused )

1. Deflate as much as possible by hand and cap-off stem to keep deflated.

2. Let'em soak in very hot (not boiling) water for half hour or so.

3. Light grease job on surface.

3. Roll-up longitudinally as much as possible by hand.

4. Install two worm drive hose clamps near top to further squeeze & hold the fold.

5. Insert in A-frame hole, and while alternating positions of clamps
with socket chucked to cordless drill, gradually "walk" the bag up into hole.

PS: Check edges of A-frame hole for burrs & heavy rust - a little grease on hole edge helps.

....And with the weight off the IFS, it's the best time for a lube job on ball joints, etc.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
TJ: When I had the front bags replaced on my Regal, the kit contained a set of extention air hoses. Use them. Run the other end up to a convenent spot inside your front grill. Sure beats crawling on ground to add air.........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
An alternative for the valves is the apron behind the bumper. That's where mine were, front & rear. Easy to use when needed.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I guess getting the old out wouldn't be so bad since there is no worries about damage. Just cut and pull.
The hot water soak that Lee mentions sounds like it might help a lot on the new ones.
My front bumper has holes in it that appear to be for air fittings. That's where the fittings are for the rear bags.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My valves are all in their respective wheel wells. I check tires and bags from one place.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
My valves are all in their respective wheel wells. I check tires and bags from one place.

What do you have the valves mounted to in the wheel wells?

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Facing forward, the front right:

and the rear right:

Yeah, I know I have to work on the rust Red Face

79 Barth Classic